Hatching Eggs Available (Chicken & Ducks) - Colorado

My turkeys hatched
big_smile.png
So far I have 6 poults, the other three eggs developed but I think the poults might not have made it. I'll leave them in and see if they're just late though. Thanks so much.

Thanks everyone for the update. I love to hear that my birds have babies hatching all over the country.

As to Delaware temperment, mine are really laid back. Roosters are calm and non agressive.

The only rooster that I have that is on my watch list is the Andulusian. He only has it in for me. He doesn't bother anyone else.

Ann

corancher,
I am entirely new to this so please forgive me if I ask a dumb question.

First, do you still have any $5/doz. hatching eggs available for shipping to NC?

Second, if I put these under a broody hen - no incubator - will any of them likely hatch?

thanks.

p.s. skip my post, please -- i just found some eggs in town and won't be needing more.
thanks..

Good deal. It is alway better to buy local if you can find what you want. Should get a far better hatch since you don't have to ship through the mail.

I have some Buckeyes that I got from Meyer Hatchery. The hens are really good layers but the eggs are medium in size. I get 7-11 eggs a day from 11 hens. The roosters are aggressive and I have to be careful walking around them.

What size are the eggs of your Buckeyes? Do you know if egg numbers decrease as the size increases? And are the roosters friendly? I think I will try to get some better Buckeyes next year so I am looking now to line up a source. Anything else you can tell me about your Buckeyes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy

My buckeye hens lay a meduim to large egg. I got some replacement pullets last year from Meyer and they do lay smaller eggs than my other stock. I don't think the size of the egg makes them lay less.

As far as my roosters, the two I have currently are just as calm as can be. My original rooster which was far nicer looking than my current boys, however was quite aggressive. He would jump on me and everyone else. To cure him I had to grab him and hold him down until he would stop struggling then let him go. I had to repeat this a few times then he came to an understanding that he didn't jump on people. Unfortunatly, we lost him to an owl.

I really like the buckeye breed and think if more people had them they would find that they are a pretty easy keeper dual purpose bird. I like that they have the pen comb so no frostbite in cold climates.

I am not sure where you are located but I know of a breeder in Ohio also and they may be closer to you when you are ready for replacements.

Corancher,

Thanks for the info. I'm in Wisconsin. I'll try that tactic with my roosters and see if it helps.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom