Hatching Eggs & Broody Hen

rehric00

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
To give some background... we just moved. Prior to moving, my hens were always broody- Im talking one hen in each of my 6 nesting boxes ALL the time, whether or not there were eggs in there. I hatched some eggs out for my neighbor.

We have been in our new location about 3 weeks now. (Yes I moved my hens and coop). On the 3rd night, the coop didn't get closed and we had a visited from a fox. It got 4 of my hens. I have replaced those 4. But, I also ordered some rather pricey hatching eggs on Ebay, since we are settled and I want to increase my numbers. I am not sure we have a broody hen now.
barnie.gif
The eggs are due to arrive today. I do not have an incubator. My only hope is that the momma that hatched the last batch will sit on these- but she has a baby with her (just one though). Sometimes she is sitting on eggs when I go to check on the coop.

Any thoughts? If I put most of the eggs in there at once, will it stimulate someone to sit on them???

Broodies are so unpredictable. The hen sitting on the chick may sit on the eggs. Is she still on the nest or is she up most of the time?

up most of the time. I am wondering if i remove the chick if she will sit on the eggs? I hate to do that- but i spent quite a bit on these eggs. i put them out there today and noone it sitting. i wish i could lock a hen in there
hu.gif
ive tried having a nice talk with them, i even gave them extra treats.. but no one wants to give in...

Back
Top Bottom