Hatching Eggs By The Moon Thread

I have 2 Cochin mix chicks due to hatch tomorrow. I was candeling duck eggs & decided to see if I could see anything in the eggs due to hatch. One was full/dark, couldn't see anything but dark. The other I/we could see movement. The second egg, even though we saw movement didn't appear to be ready to hatch? There was way to much open space. I set the eggs 4/20 at 5:22PM

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Good Luck BJ, let us know what happens!

Okay I candled last night
hide.gif
and.......100% fertile!!!!! All 17 shipped eggs show development and the 3 I added from my own are also growing
celebrate.gif
However, my one concern is on a shipped egg that has a dark spot in it. It is not the "eye", but is about as big as a pin head and is "floating" right beneath the developing part. I wonder if it is one of those red spots that some eggs have in them. I have heard they won't hatch so I guess I will just have to wait and see.

candled great developement lost 4 4 eggs but others look great. Some look more developed than the others
does that affect lock down dates. Some you could see the entire developing chick while others you could just see the eye moving b ut those were darker eggs. so I'm just a nervous mom waiting and worrying about every little thing.

funnmomm,
Nope, they all go into lockdown at the same time if they were all set on the same day. They may hatch out at different times but that is okay :)!

So who besides me is using the dry incubation method?

funnmomm,
Nope, they all go into lockdown at the same time if they were all set on the same day. They may hatch out at different times but that is okay :)!

I am . it's been a very wet spring

later on this summer if we end up with another drought (it's usual for us to have them every summer anymore) then I'll have to start adding water to the bators

funnmomm,

I am also. Started out w/water in bottom tray but when it ran dry saw the humidity was just fine w/out me adding water. Wet spring here in MO also.

Last edited:
Good Luck BJ, let us know what happens!

Okay I candled last night
hide.gif
and.......100% fertile!!!!! All 17 shipped eggs show development and the 3 I added from my own are also growing
celebrate.gif
However, my one concern is on a shipped egg that has a dark spot in it. It is not the "eye", but is about as big as a pin head and is "floating" right beneath the developing part. I wonder if it is one of those red spots that some eggs have in them. I have heard they won't hatch so I guess I will just have to wait and see.
Well it's after 7PM CST and no pipping. I know the temp dropped when I put a COLD partially hatched egg in that a Momma hen had abandoned.(ended up w/a successful hatch of that chick) Took a long time for the temp to readjust it's self. Perhaps that delayed the hatch. Since I saw movement last night I'm just going to leave things alone.

Last edited:
this really works well..i tried it. thou i have the moon phase app for tablet look up waxing moon then count back in that month..makes it easy to figure out.
I had posted a topic asking did anyone ever set by the moon? in June 2011 and various comments and only a few people knew what it was so i thought why not make a thread about it?
Setting eggs by the moon can be confusing if you have never heard of it. Chicks born under a waxing Moon, in the fruitful signs of Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, are healthier and mature faster. I have some chicks out in the brooder that are 2 and 3 weeks old and already they are big they will be coming out of the brooder and into the yard soon.To find out the dates to set eggs by you can buy THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC at Tractor Supply or just about any place that sells books mostly but make sure its THE OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC and not THE FARMER'S ALMANAC there is a difference but i will also be posting the setting dates here on the thread every month.When i was first hatching out eggs i had a horrible hatch rate i was only hatching out 5 every-time out of 40 eggs and finally i got tired of it and i told mom that's it I'm going to start setting my eggs by the moon and when i did my hatch rate jumped to 50% i once had 10 chicks hatch out on day 20 and then 7 on day 21 that was my first real good hatch I WAS SOOO HAPPY!!Couple of BYC members already asked me what is setting eggs by the moon? But if your the younger generation you might not know what it is course I'm not old now lol but my mom was born and raised on 300 acres of farmland with her family out in the boonies and she said that's how they set all their broody hens on eggs was by the moon and how the old time farmers long ago did it she always says " There is something to be said about setting by the moon"

"This section will be edited once a month and some people are confused about if the dates were for hatching out or setting so i have made it easier to read i hope"

DAYS TO SET FOR MAR-APR

CHICKEN EGGS 21 DAYS
SET MARCH 26&27 = WILL HATCH APRIL 16&17
SET APRIL 5&6 = WILL HATCH APRIL 26&27
SET APRIL 14&15 = WILL HATCH MAY 5&6
SET APRIL 22,23,24 = WILL HATCH MAY 13,14,15

-------------------------------------------
QUAIL EGGS 18 DAYS
SET MARCH 20&21 = WILL HATCH APRIL 7&8
SET MARCH 29&30 = WILL HATCH APRIL 16&17
SET APRIL 8&9 = WILL HATCH APRIL 26&27
SET APRIL 17&18 = WILL HATCH MAY 5&6
SET APRIL 25,26,27 = WILL HATCH MAY 13,14,15

-------------------------------------------
GOOSE,DUCK,TURKEY & GUINEA EGGS 28 DAYS
SET MARCH 19&20 = WILL HATCH APRIL 16&17
SET MARCH 29&30 = WILL HATCH APRIL 26&27
SET APRIL 7&8 = WILL HATCH MAY 5&6
SET APRIL 15,16,17 = WILL HATCH MAY 13,14,15
SET APRIL 25,26,26 = WILL HATCH MAY 23,24,25

Last edited:
Yeah i love it myself it works great with dry hatching but on my last hatch i did horribly cause of the florida heat i only had 19 hatch out that lived i lost half of my eggs but with this hatch i now have 100 baby chicks

congrats! thats a good hatch..nothing you can do about that high fla humidity and heat..but i have the moon phases app for android, according to the above listed and this months moon calander, the waxing moon begins 22 through 26th or 7 th..the 16 and 17th listed above in moon list maybe from last year? this months calander are waning moon on 16 and 17th...so little confused about that..i downloaded a competly different app to see if that matched and it says same waxing 22 as befor..

Back
Top Bottom