Hatching eggs from my light Brahma roo

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
I have barred rock, saphire gem, EE, Black Jersey Giant,, RIR and a Light brahma hens.. it seems all the Black Jersey crosses look like mom after 2 incubations as well as the saphire gems looking light their mom.. the EE vary only slightly from each other.. my first incubation I didn't know the barred rock girl babies were solid black and boys were barred so I thought I only got one and of course turned out to be boy lol.. because of this I assumed I had a bunch of Jersey babies hahaha.. the RIR babies I guess will be yellow males and red females? So far I guess I have only got males lol second hatch I only had one barred rock egg and it's male, I got one EE this incubation cycle and it's a little different color then the first incubation cycle.. I use a nature right 360 incubator and I love it! What, if any, are the averages of getting modified pea combs? Percentage... I like the pea combs quite a bit. Being from Maine, our Winters can get quite cold and pea combs are less likely to get frost bit.

I got 15 the first time.. tried to be more conservative the second time lol got 7 in the bator now as the EE just hatched this morn.. will move them to their brooder later today.. 😊🥰

Attachments

• 20230422_085330.jpg
    20230422_085330.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230329_093946.jpg
    20230329_093946.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 3
I have barred rock, saphire gem, EE, Black Jersey Giant,, RIR and a Light brahma hens.. it seems all the Black Jersey crosses look like mom after 2 incubations as well as the saphire gems looking light their mom.. the EE vary only slightly from each other.. my first incubation I didn't know the barred rock girl babies were solid black and boys were barred so I thought I only got one and of course turned out to be boy lol.. because of this I assumed I had a bunch of Jersey babies hahaha.. the RIR babies I guess will be yellow males and red females? So far I guess I have only got males lol second hatch I only had one barred rock egg and it's male, I got one EE this incubation cycle and it's a little different color then the first incubation cycle.. I use a nature right 360 incubator and I love it! What, if any, are the averages of getting modified pea combs? Percentage... I like the pea combs quite a bit. Being from Maine, our Winters can get quite cold and pea combs are less likely to get frost bit.
What breed is your rooster?

In the process now! Will the possible pullets from this pairing still lay colored eggs or will the light brahma wash out the color? Doesn't matter to me really when it comes to egg production.. an egg is an egg lol just curious

In the process now! Will the possible pullets from this pairing still lay colored eggs or will the light brahma wash out the color? Doesn't matter to me really when it comes to egg production.. an egg is an egg lol just curious
You will probably get a mix of greens & tans with the colored egg hatched pullets. It won’t be olive, more of a lighter color. 😊 Have fun!

Good luck! My boy was super fertile lol and all the babies I have hatched are healthy and strong.. none sick or died after hatching.. I do have one that looks to have been pecked in the eye that I am dealing with now.. still eats, drinks, poops and plays lol just has a little steeling in that one eye and keeps it closed a lot...

I love hatching chicks.. cannot keep them all tho which is unfortunate. I would love to, to be honest. If there were a way to hatch for others and have a pick of the litter thing lol that would be great..

Good luck! My boy was super fertile lol and all the babies I have hatched are healthy and strong.. none sick or died after hatching.. I do have one that looks to have been pecked in the eye that I am dealing with now.. still eats, drinks, poops and plays lol just has a little steeling in that one eye and keeps it closed a lot...

I love hatching chicks.. cannot keep them all tho which is unfortunate. I would love to, to be honest. If there were a way to hatch for others and have a pick of the litter thing lol that would be great..
Right? It’s so hard deciding which ones to keep especially since we have no clue what they’ll look like as adults

Back
Top Bottom