1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching eggs on ebay

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheWickedChicken, Jun 12, 2017.

1. TheWickedChicken

TheWickedChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2017
    Texas
    I'm not in the market for purchasing hatching eggs, but the other day I came across several listings for hatching eggs on eBay. I'm super curious, is this a fairly normal and validated way to purchase eggs? Would you trust buying hatching eggs from eBay? It just seemed so strange to me, but I'm brand new to world of owning and selling chickens.

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Honestly I thought it was strange when I first started with chickens last year. But after not being able to find the breed I wanted locally I ended up buying some off eBay. But with shipped eggs you don't always have a good hatch rate. Only 5/10 of the ones I bought are developing and I still have a ways to go.

3. TheWickedChicken

TheWickedChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah, that's what I figured would happen with shipping, but I suppose that's unavoidable if you can't find eggs locally.

4. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Yep. And don't spend a lot. I bought some locally for the EHAL, went and picked them up. Only 3 hatched, the majority were infertile. So it's a gamble buying eggs no matter the transportation to your home.

5. JerAtwater

JerAtwater Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Northeast
    I just got 1 out of 8. Purchased 6, sent 8 and only 1 hatched.

1 didn't make it out of the egg. The rest don't even look to be fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by