Hatching eggs too old?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sissy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have found eggs from
    a few my hens in a corner
    of their coop
    . I know they are over a month old.
    Because I had clean out the place.

Would they still hatch if I put them under
    a few broodys in another coop
    I have,or are they too old.
    sissy

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Usually, 10 days is about as long as anyone would want to hold eggs before setting them. At over a month old, I'd handle them very carefully; I'd be worried about them exploding and stinking the place up!

3. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Hatchability goes down after a week or so. On the other hand, I pulled a few out of the fridge a few weeks ago to slip under a broody and had a couple hatch.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I would not do it, if the eggs are already old they may just end up blowing up under the hen and contaminate everything it touches and Oh the smell.

If you have a few hens laying ,i would just collect fresh eggs for them to set.

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Agreed, be VERY careful handling them if they are that old. I've only had one egg explode on me (and it was a wild bird's egg as we were removing nests for construction, so it was TINY) and I know I never, EVER want to smell that again.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I found some lavender orpington project eggs in an egg carton in the cupboard several weeks after I had re-homed that flock. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I put them in the incubator with everything else, and about half of them hatched. I ended up with three lavender orpingtons and three splits that I never would have had if I had not tried. It felt weird hatching weeks later than the first eggs hatched from the person who ended up with my birds! I say go for it. Some might go bad and pop, and ruin the whole clutch. If they are valuable to you, I say you have nothing to lose by trying. You will know shortly, in about five days, if any are developing. I'd definitley pull any that do not start to develop, and candle about every five days or so to make sure to pull anything that quits or gets a blood ring. Also, keep in mind, they may already have lost a lot of water, so candle them, and see if the air cell is really big I'd try them at a much higher humidity than normal. Good luck. Hopefully some of this info is helpful.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I once did the float test on a batch of guinea eggs i found and 35 out of 42 made it to hatch day.

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Thanks everyone ,the next time if I find more hidden eggs.
    I will just put them
    in the bator.and see what happens I tossed
    them out I didnt want a stinky explosion. But I should
    have waited a lot more BYC s, have hatched a few
    from old eggs.I am termpted to try store bought eggs
    in the bator and see what happens:lau maybe [​IMG]:jumpy [​IMG]

Sissy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by