hatching eggs - upon delivery...

bluedawg

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Croton on Hudson
As long as I have the incubator heated and ready to go can I put the eggs right in it upon delivery? How come the eggs are OK when not kept in the incubator through the mail?
Thanks,
-M

You really should let them sit to adjust to room temperature so they don't sweat from the temp change. Some people do overnight but 6-8 is recommended from what I read. They do ok during shipping because they haven't begun growing yet. They don't start until they reach the temp required. Good luck, I love incubating
love.gif

Eggs get shaken around pretty good when they are shipped. It's always best to let them rest, adjust to your room temps, breathe and sit big end up for a few hours ( 6 to 12 or longer) in an egg carton to help the air sacs get stable again. my thoughts

They should also rest to let their insides settle a bit. Shipping is hard on eggs, and sometimes their air sacs will get dislocated. Resting them can give them time to settle back where they are supposed to be.

You should let them rest in an egg carton large end up to let them settle before putting them in the 'bator. I usually get mine from the PO early in the AM, like 8 am, and I have let them rest from 9 am until 9pm and then put them in the 'bator.

Good luck!!

Hey guys - Thanks! It is true I am very eggcited
smile.png
even though I have no eggs on the way
sad.png
I am looking forward to hatching and starting a small flock of wheaton marans but several sources have no eggs yet. I just bid on some on Ebay but did not get them - they went too high. I wonder if I should wait until spring anyway. I live in Westchester County, NY. So If I hatch eggs in the Fall I will probably have them inside for longer than I would if I hatched them in the spring. Any thoughts on this?

Shelley, Thanks for sharing pics!!! Gerty is gorgeous
smile.png

-M

Last edited:
Look for "Bev's Marans" on a search and go look at her chickens...She has the Wheaten variety...See if you can get on her shipping list. I also am in love with the wheatens, I think they're prettier than the CB Marans.

Back
Top Bottom