Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennyhenny54, Aug 23, 2018.

1. jennyhenny54

jennyhenny54 In the Brooder

May 24, 2018
    Good morning. So I have 2 questions. First...I have a hen who has decided to nest, but I have 2 young roosters who are trying to "date" the ladies and I am not sure they are "getting the job done". Lol how long do I wait to check the eggs? And can I do it with a flashlight or candle? 2nd question...I have a chicken laying this enormous egg every now and then and am not sure who it is...was thinking maybe my Sapphire Gem?? She is a big girl! Lol! Thank you guys for all your help!

Attached Files:

BlueBaby likes this.
  2. ChickensAndYoga

ChickensAndYoga Songster

Aug 1, 2018
    Eustis, fl
    Hi there. The only way to check for fertility is to crack one open and check the yolk for a bullseye. Be sure to collect all your hatching eggs in a carton until you have as many as you need. Store them at room temp with narrow end down and large end up. Turn them at least once a day by sliding a book under one end of the carton, then the other. Don't store eggs longer than 7 days if you can help it.

While you collect eggs you can either keep a few "sacrificial eggs" under her that you will toss and replace with the eggs you want. Or buy some ceramic eggs to trick her.

Mark all of your eggs before placing them under her so you know if any other hens added to the clutch when she gets up to eat .You remove the gifts lol

Good luck.

BlueBaby likes this.
  3. jennyhenny54

May 24, 2018
    Thank you. I was wondering if you can check the eggs to see if they are developing. And when to check them.

ChickensAndYoga likes this.
  4. ChickensAndYoga

ChickensAndYoga Songster

Aug 1, 2018
    Eustis, fl
    Yes! You can candle. If you go back to the main incubation/hatching thread with all the post titles there's one at the top by Sally Sunshine with all the info you need!

5. jennyhenny54

May 24, 2018
    ChickensAndYoga likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: