1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Eggs ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenranchwife, Dec 20, 2007.

1. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone, I tried hatching eggs a month or so ago. I have some questions, and thought you guys can help me out. My first hatch didn't work, as I was in a hurry to get them in. It was all my fault. Since I have left my bator on, and awaiting a shipment of silkie eggs. My question is do they have to set for a period of time before they go into the bator? I have a still air incubator and an egg turner, do I really need a fan? When does day 1 start? Is this correct? The temp should be 101, and humidity should be between 30-40%? I hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks a bunch!

Jada

2. Hi Jada,
    The common practice is to let shipped eggs rest (big end up) a few hours before putting them in the bator.

Temp:
    101.5 degrees
    Temp w/fan:
    99.5 degrees

Humidity (Day 1 - 18):
    45%
    Humidity (Day 19 - hatch):
    65%

Day 1 starts when you set the eggs in the bator.
    Mark it on the calender and count down 3 weeks.
    Set on Monday, Day 21 is on a Monday.

[​IMG] I'm not a good 'explainer', but I hope that helps.

Good luck!

3. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Lisa,
    It sure does help. Did you get your message box fixed yet? Did you get my email about the eggs last week or whenever? I will be ready for them when they get here.

Thanks again,

Jada

4. Got it Jada! Frizzles and Cochins, right?
    Shipping will start again 1/5 or 1/7.
    Nope, not going to clear my pm box.
    It has such limited storage space, it's easier for me to just communicate via email --- I can keep track of things better that way.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by