Hatching Eggs

You aren't going to find a BCM or Fav in the store for eating only. For one thing, they are fertile, store eggs aren't (usually) They exist in smaller numbers to start, and not available as chicks (at least here) Some are old breeds that are all but lost. It is steep, but the market determines the price. It depends on what you are looking for. More common breeds you can get quite cheaply. And here's the main thing. I can ship eggs here more cheaply than chicks. They require special handling and express. That runs to bucks, unless you find the breed you are looking for locally, and as I said........

Quote:
I agree with greenfamilyfarms. There's a big difference between buying eggs to consume and hatching eggs where you're going to get your own egg producer or show bird for yourself. I have a lot of mutt chickens that I sell eggs to many people and I really could not care less if they wanted to hatch them cause they'll still get mutts but if I start raising Black Copper Marans and sell the eggs it's a different story. Also what's your definition of quality? I also have a hobby selling antiques and certain pieces have different values simply because of its rarity and/or quality. I sold a 1927 hoosier cabinet last year for $800 and a 1923 model nearly identicle for only $500. The reason was that not as many were made of the 1927 model even though it was basicly the same cabinet. You just simply charge more for it because its more desirable. It's not greed it's capitalism. And that's not a dirty word.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmm if you think that hatching eggs for $10-$50 a doz (which by the way is very cheap for some breeds) is expensive then I am guessing you haven't come across the Coronation Sussex yet. Try $400 a doz!

Back
Top Bottom