hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dwlfarmer, Aug 16, 2011.

1. dwlfarmer

dwlfarmer New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    I have buff hens that was setting but a dog got into her eggs and ate 4 and I now have 18 left she would not go back to her nest and I was glad because it was not in the hen house which if she was I would not be asking these Questions. The eggs where not cold but not real warm ether. Now how hot should the incubater be and how long well it take the eggs to hatch the full 21 days or less. And if they do hatch how long do they stay in the incubater and what do I feed them in the incubater and how long under a heat lamp. Boy it sure is easier when they raise there own.

2. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    1) incubator should be 99.5 degrees

2) hatch time, as a rule, is 21 days. how long was your hen sitting on them? subtract that from 21 to get a general idea. that said, 21 days is a rule of thumb. they commonly hatch anywhere from 19 ~ 23 days.

3) after hatching, they can remain, if need be, in the incubator for 72 hours (3 days) without any food or water. they've gotten their nutrients from the egg they hatched out of. they can safely be removed from the incubator once dry. the rule of thumb is take them out after 24 hours - - they should be dry by then.

4) once removed from incubator, they will need food/water/heat.

to sum up: incubate at 99.5 degrees for 21 days (less the time the hen sat on them) - - 24 hours after hatched remove them from incubator and give food/water/heat. and love. [​IMG]

have fun! and good luck!

3. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by