**hatching Emergency**help!**

MommaBugg

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NE MICHIGAN
OK she isnt moving much any more, still breathing and shivering A LOT .. I am heart broken I dont know if she will make it.
She will open her eyes every once in awhile, and she has thrashed around a lot I guess trying to get the shell off.. all she has succeeded in doing is breaking off a little bit at a time. She pipped about 6 hours ago, and when she got about half way out I saw the yolk sack,, she just kept kicking off the shell anyway.. will she survive? Also I think she MIGHT e cold.. but the temp is already almost 100.0 at the bottom of the bator. What should it be on?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO!

2meoi10.jpg

Last edited:
I have read in here that some people have taken a paper towel and wet it with warm water and wraped the yolk so it doesn't dry out. Some people have had luck but I have not with it. I think it depends on the chicks will to survive. Sorry im not much help but its worth a try.

Your little chick was born to early. Her brain said I want out but her body wasn't ready. I've been only able to save one chick like this. But he was a real fighter from the beginning! If the chicks lives, this little yolk sac will dry up (my chicks sac was much bigger) every day it will get smaller and harder. Do not remove or break it. I kept antibiotic ointment on it everyday so it would dry up to fast or crack. I kept him alone for weeks. If kept with the others they will peck at it. Not to many can be saved. Good luck
D.gif

Quote:
She is the only one in the bator right now. The first born is already in the brooder, and already eating and drinking on her own. I will tryand keep it from drying out. My mother-in-law suggested virgin olive oil. I was thinking maybe A&D ointment too, but I wnt with what you had sucess with and used the neosporin. I hope she absorbs it quickly so I can quit worrying over her
sad.png

Thanks everyone

OK despite my best efforts to immobilize her, she managed to burst the yolk. It looks like it might be drying out, I dont know what else to do. but if the yolk has already ruptured there shouldnt be any reason to keep it moist anymore. What I am most concerned for now is the fact that due to her being highly active through this whole thing despite her being on her side, the antibiotic ointment that I put on the yolk to keep it from drying out, was rubbed all over the place by her feet and then she managed to rub it into her eyes and mouth. I dont know if this will kill her or not. I will keep you posted.

Sounds like maybe you put too much ointment on. She will be OK! Is she not sitting or trying to walk? or is she just always laying on her side.? even though the yolk broke you should still keep a little ointment on it. It should really start drying up now. I've seen them break and they will continue to drain a little, yellow crust like material. I hope she pulls through for you, don't be alarmed if she suddenly dies, not to many make it and you tried.
D.gif

I have one i'm working with like that but its sac was smaller--HOWever, it was almost "in" and momma pecked it
sad.png
lesson learned...i should have removed the chick from mom i just wasnt thinking and this is only my 2nd hatch--i dont inc hatch...just broody when one goes...

my little guy pulled through the night and like above said did dry out quite a bit! i sprayed Blue Kote on it...to me it was less mess than an ointment! seemed to help dry it too! HTH...i will warn you "I" still dont know if the Blue Kote was rght or not...but i had to do SOMEthing!

When I had this problem I used Vetriacyn spray and it worked Very well! It turned out to be a very healthy Rooster. I have used the Vetriacyn spray for alot of things and can't say enough good things about it. Good luck to you and your chick.

Back
Top Bottom