Hatching first pullet eggs?

Margiechickmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Rural NE North Carolina
I have a Swedish Flower Hen rooster in with my 3 Swedish Flower Hens and my other assorted girls. He is just getting interested in the ladies, and my Swedish Flower Hens are just about POL. They were hatched on 3/20.

When they start laying, is there any danger in trying to hatch their first eggs? I know most people talk about hatching hens' eggs. Is there a reason not to hatch pullet eggs? I would love to hatch some more eggs, I love Swedish Flower hens and I know someone who would like to start keeping chickens and would take the chicks once they're ready.

Many people do not hatch a pullet's first eggs because they are generally smaller. A smaller egg means a smaller yolk, and a smaller chick. Supposedly, these eggs can have trouble developing, and the chicks are sometimes weaker. I've successfully hatched many pullets eggs though, and they were just fine.

If I were you, I'd wait until the eggs were a consistent size (not too small). Pullets new to laying sometimes have deformed eggs, so I wouldn't set those. But once the eggs look normal, even if they are a little small, I'd set some!

Thank you! I knew I had seen reasons somewhere but sometimes searching takes so long. Hopefully my rooster won't drive my neighbors crazy and can stick around! Maybe in a few months we will be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom