Hatching Gone Wrong =/

wishiniwasfishin

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
So last year i got a new still air incubator with turner. I hatched 6 hatches 20-40eggs each, and it was close to 80-90percent in all of the hatches.

This year i started the incubator got temp set ran it for 2days before the hatch (2 thermometer to make sure its not off), and its setup in the corner of the living room so no disturbances, or air temp changes, last year was setup in the kitchen. I put in 36eggs in the first hatch, i candled them 3times and NO development at all in any eggs...at day 25(i like to make sure im sure) we removed the eggs and took them out and cracked a few just yoke. =(

I had hen who hatched 4 eggs and a hen who hatched 9eggs(my only banny), and a hen sitting on 6eggs, a snake got 4 we saved the other 2 candled them and they were empty on day 15...so she started over....

Second Hatch--24eggs we're good I am on day 23 and i have 12good eggs(I only candle 3times during incubation the last being on day 18 when i pull the turner out then it STAYS closed unless removing a baby or the hatch is finished...the others had blood rings/spots/or no development. Two nites ago an egg piped, tonight very little movement so i pulled the egg (cracked the lid--i did this last year to remove babies that hatched before the rest without ill effects) its been 2 days, i peeled a little bit, the chick was gasping but not moving and the eyes were not developed and it died in my hands. I feel bad but its been 2days so i didn't think it would make it out on its own either there was not more then the little crack in the egg. So im down to 11eggs!! I was getting ready to give up on them, when i heard someone peeping....so heres to hoping i have some survivor!!!

So besides some good vibes for my little chicks...i was wondering what could be going so wrong this year?!?!?!
Is it the incubator, or the fertility of eggs...
I was thinking the incubator...but out of 24eggs, only 12developed, and a hen sitting on 6eggs, the 2 i got to check were undeveloped at 15days...I have 14hens and 2roosters
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The hens range from 2-5yrs and the roosters are 2 and 3. When we know we want to hatch we start collecting and checking all the eggs, making sure they're not cracked, and we candle to make sure the shells are solid and no strange defects, or "internal" shell cracks, they only sit long enough for us to get a couple dozen, 2-3 days, they are kept in a closet in our office, so they're not in sunlight, and the temp doesn't swing while waiting to go in the incubator.

5yrs is pretty old for a hen to have good fertility in my opinion and 2yrs old is kind of pushing it also. I am going to guess it is the age of your chickens that is causing bad fertility

Thats what i has thinking...especially after having not one egg develop last hatch and only 1/2 in this hatch...but i wanted to make sure i didn't do anything wrong..i felt so bad for that little chick,
hit.gif
but when i noticed his eyes i knew it was something beyond just me...thanks for your input!! and thanks for your quick input ...there still laying a good amount of eggs, but i guess im gonna have to wait until i get some younger ones to start hatching again.

Back
Top Bottom