Hatching Guinea Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peeps7, Mar 30, 2008.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anybody knew how to hatch guinea eggs? My grandmothers guineas started laying and she would like me to hatch some. What do you keep the humidity at, and the temperature? Thanks!!!

2. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I treat mine the same as chicken eggs. They just take a week longer to hatch. I've had great hatch rates every time.

Donna [​IMG]

3. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    So on the last 3 days (how long does it take them to hatch?) bump it up like you would chicken eggs? Thanks!!

4. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I hatched guinea eggs last year with a hatch rate of 5 out of 8 from ebay eggs, which ain't bad. Be forwarned, they're eggs are thicker than chicken eggs. I believe I helped all but one.

There's a great book called Gardening with Guineas that is a must read, as well as a forum for guinea owners called the guinea fowl message board. Its loaded with info but not as organized as this forum.

Julie

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    My best hatch so far was from shipped guinea eggs, I incubated them just like chicken eggs, my started hatching on day 26.

6. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I've never had to help a guinea keet out of it's shell. All of mine have always been much faster to hatch then my chickens.

Donna

7. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    So can I incubate them with my chicken eggs? My concern is when I bump my humidity up at the last 3 days for the chicken eggs. My crevecouer hen just started laying and I'd like to incubate her eggs.

8. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Put the guinea eggs in a week before you plan on setting the chicken eggs and everyone will hatch just fine. Jenn

9. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Okey dokey, thank-you!! Just hatch them like chicken eggs, right? Alrighty then, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by