1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching guinea eggs

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by llatham, Sep 10, 2013.

1. llatham

llatham New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    how long should it take for a keet to break out of the egg after it has pecked a hole?
    thanks
    Leon

2. HoneyDreameMom

HoneyDreameMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I'd love to see an answer on this. One of our hens in currently sitting on our first batch of keets, and I'm wondering as well.

3. Tim K

Tim K Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Central, Oklahoma
    Id say 24hrs to 36 hrs

4. nelmsy

nelmsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    England
    what age can guinea fowl fly

5. HoneyDreameMom

Aug 5, 2013
    Our keets were flapping their way out of the brooder box at only a couple of weeks old. They were getting some actual honest-to-goodness staying in the air kind of flying at a few months. My experience was that they try to flap and fly out of the brooder much sooner than chicks.

6. nelmsy

nelmsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    England
    Thanks

7. HoneyDreameMom

Aug 5, 2013
    We've only ever purchased keets. I'm interested to see how different hatching our own turns out to be. Good luck with yours!

8. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    The keets my broody hens have hatched seem to hatch like chicks in regards to pipping. Definitely not incubation time, though. : P Of course, I've always suspected my broodies help their chicks and/or keets out because they mysteriously hatch faster than if they were in the incubator. :)
    Yup, I agree. Our five to eight week old keets are already trying to fly about in their small hutch. It won't be long till they can come out and free-range. They certainly look so graceful when they fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by