Hatching Guineas for the first time! It's Day 26!

It is day 25 for my 33 eggs in the LG. This morning (before I went into lockdown and all the eggs were still in the turner) I noticed an egg open and thought it had exploded! When I opened the top to dispose of it, a few rows over in an empty slot was a cute, tiny little keet sitting patiently. I hurridly fixed up the brooder and put him in it and put the other eggs into lockdown immediately (there was one egg that had pipped). Now, this evening that egg that had pipped is about to hatch -I was so worried that it was shrink wrapped, but it seems to be progressing normally.
Isn't hatching fun????
wee.gif

Not so fun for me. It's been pretty heart wrenching.

Two pipped and halfway hatched today (day 29). They are laying in their half-shells, not looking so healthy....once in a while they make a good try, and peep real loud, but even for my first hatch, I know something isn't right for them. I'm watching, but I don't have much hope for them. UGH. It's a helpless feeling. I'm thinking I just didn't have the temp high enough throughout the incubation period, and then when the last few days came around and I increased the humidity, it was too much for them.

It's a very sad time here tonight
sad.png

Not so fun for me. It's been pretty heart wrenching.

Two pipped and halfway hatched today (day 29). They are laying in their half-shells, not looking so healthy....once in a while they make a good try, and peep real loud, but even for my first hatch, I know something isn't right for them. I'm watching, but I don't have much hope for them. UGH. It's a helpless feeling. I'm thinking I just didn't have the temp high enough throughout the incubation period, and then when the last few days came around and I increased the humidity, it was too much for them.

It's a very sad time here tonight sad

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry you and the hatchlings have to go through that. This is my second hatch - the first was with chicken eggs and I had to put down a few chicks that were obviously victims of the incubator issues that I had - I felt really guilty about that! The only thing I could comfort you with is that this will pass and you'll try again and have a good experience...​

I guess the question now is.....will they make it? They both fell out of their shell. Both had a bit of bleeding at their umbilical cord, and both were very wet and weak. I just made the temp right for them and waited....I guess I thought they would just expire. However, they rested for a while, and now have gotten healthy color to their skin, are wiggling and "running" some (running their little legs in the air), opening their eyes, peeping, and spreading their little wings. Their breathing is less labored. I guess the consolation I can take from this is that they do not seem to be suffering or struggling, at least not at the moment. I hated seeing them on the wire flooring, so I cheated and put a soft clean towel down for them. I just thought they might be declining and I couldn't bear the sight of them on the wire.

Rough night. Precious little Guinea Keets. They sure are feisty, aren't they?

Awww
hit.gif
I'm sorry Tar. That's tough to go thru. At least now you know.

Are your Hens laying more eggs for you to set? If so... now that you have a 2nd incubator you can set half batches twice a month then just move the half that are due for lockdown over to the other incubator to hatch, then reload the open slots in the 1st incubator
smile.png
I agree, don't give up!

Yes, in fact, I'm already committed and halfway through incubating a second batch of about 14 eggs. They are in the first incubator. They are in a turner, where I turned these chicks by hand. These are being incubated at a temp of 102 (still air) now that I know about that. I will hopefully do better by these babies. It's so heartbreaking to turn eggs 4-6 times a day, etc......to watch the temp countless times a day....only to find out that the temp I worked so hard to regulate was not the right temp for my incubator. It's heartbreaking to have these two little feisty babies in there, not knowing if they will make it through the night. They are beautiful and such little fighters!

Quote:
Oh man Tar.... still air incubation temp needs to be at 101.5-102 degrees during incubation, then drop it 1 degree during lockdown. Those eggs may go to day 30 before pipping, if they even try to hatch. And if they do hatch, the keets may have leg and curled toe problems or other issues. Misting the eggs lightly with a fine mist mister bottle helps with humidity, don't soak them tho.

Turn those incubators up and hope for the best
fl.gif

The temp for an LG still air says 99.5, plain as day in the instructions!!! I have had several hatches at the temp with no issues!!!! Why would you change the temp from something other than what the instructions say???

Not according to the LG still air instructions!! And like I have said...I have had great hatches...some even hatch early. I'd hate to know how early they would hatch if I upped the temperature!!!

Back
Top Bottom