Feb 21, 2022
NW Michigan
We bought 2 guinea keets last year, managed to keep both alive to adulthood and have them end up being a male and female. I'm interested in hatching some of their eggs this year- any tips? Are they much different to incubate than other birds? Also, I thought they'd look a lot different than chicken eggs but I saw a comparison photo online of bantam vs chicken vs guinea eggs and they don't look much different. So now I'm wondering if the light brown eggs I keep getting from the nest box the guinea likes to sleep in are actually hers.. I've never seen the male get on the female either so not sure if they're fertile. We live on 27 acres and only have 1 neighbor (who is never home) so the noise level isn't a concern.

How old are the guineas? Guinea eggs are very pointed on one end, to me they look very different.

Let me see if I can find the article about hatching guineas. I have only done it once and my hatch rate was okay for being the first time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubating-and-hatching-guinea-fowl.67507/
They'll be a year old this summer. I read that they often start laying the spring after their hatching. I haven't done a deep dive on the subject yet because I'd been mainly focused on the idea of hatching bantams and geese.

They'll be a year old this summer. I read that they often start laying the spring after their hatching. I haven't done a deep dive on the subject yet because I'd been mainly focused on the idea of hatching bantams and geese.
As with chickens, it's usually recommended to not attempt to hatch the first eggs they lay. But if you collect them after a month or two from the time they’re laying then those should be good to hatch. Plus that will give you time to crack them open and see if they are consistently fertilized.

I noticed with my chickens, the first few eggs after the break of winter were not fertilized but now that they've been laying for two or so weeks, the eggs have a higher fertilization rate. It's like the roosters know not to bother mounting them if they're not laying eggs.

As with chickens, it's usually recommended to not attempt to hatch the first eggs they lay. But if you collect them after a month or two from the time they’re laying then those should be good to hatch. Plus that will give you time to crack them open and see if they are consistently fertilized.

I noticed with my chickens, the first few eggs after the break of winter were not fertilized but now that they've been laying for two or so weeks, the eggs have a higher fertilization rate. It's like the roosters know not to bother mounting them if they're not laying eggs.
I collect all the eggs and put them in the incubator. I don't worry about trying to hatch the early ones. They will hatch or they won't hatch.

Guineas start laying late enough in the year that there is no the concern about the eggs not being fertile unless you just don't have enough cocks for the number of hens you have.

The lack of fertility in chicken eggs early on is that the roosters need sufficient daylight hours to be fertile.

Here is my collection of guinea eggs, all from 1 nest.
0422221846.jpg

Back
Top Bottom