Hatching help needed

I don't have an incubator so I'll try to find our old humidifier. Is this still looking not ready? I removed a tiny bit more shell to check the veins. We have to leave for the fair again and will be gone for a bitšŸ˜¬.
How about a heating pad? you could put chick in a box with a towel on the bottom and either lay box on the pad (careful) or place over the top to warm the box......

I've always read to use oil. I'll have sugar water ready, good idea!
Chickens been around a long time and people trying to help them probably just as long, so I am not surprised about the oil, I just never heard about it or used that method. That photo you sent is a little concerning cause I do see the veins, but that veined velum should have been on the shell, by the time I have seen it come loose and get on the chick its like paper and no veins. Do you know how many days this egg has been cooking?

How about a heating pad? you could put chick in a box with a towel on the bottom and either lay box on the pad (careful) or place over the top to warm the box......
I have it on a heating pad with some wash clothes on top. It's about 100* but keeps fluctuating up, then I move things around so it doesn't get too hot.

Chickens been around a long time and people trying to help them probably just as long, so I am not surprised about the oil, I just never heard about it or used that method. That photo you sent is a little concerning cause I do see the veins, but that veined velum should have been on the shell, by the time I have seen it come loose and get on the chick its like paper and no veins. Do you know how many days this egg has been cooking?
That part is where the air sac was. That's the piece of shell I removed. I assumed that was normal to have that under that part. The rest of the shell that piece of membrane seems connected to still. She's been sitting at least 3 weeks. I thought they'd hatch before the fair. But I didn't write down the day so I can't be sure exactly how long.

I see in your photo some of the yellowish discharge I am sure there is a technical name, but I don't have it. I think your chick is ready to come out based on all that I know. The blood in the veins looks very light to me, I think you can try and remove the eggshell just proceed slow. Like I said when I have been on the fence, I just break a tiny bit of egg and if I see red (and it's dark red) I stop immediately. The risk of waiting too long is the feet don't open flat and then you have to do some physical therapy with them and use some blue tape and make flappers. Gosh what we do to save these things...... good luck...

wonder if you should put a little lift (like a couple pencils)
between the hot pad towel and box. Heating pads are unpredictable. that would give you some protection from burns.

Ok we just got home. I tried peeling a bit and it bled a little. It's not dark red though.

Attachments

• 20230803_221336.jpg
    20230803_221336.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 8
Any bleeding at all means that the chick is not ready and definitely hasnā€™t absorbed the yolk. check on the chick every hour, it will let your know when its ready to hatch by chirping and struggling to turn.

Itā€™s not a chicken, but I have a goose I had to help. The first image is when the veins are just starting to recede - no where near ready. The second image is when it was almost ready but not quite yet, the membrane is basically clear. She let me know when she was ready by turning and poking her beak outwards like sheā€™s trying to break the shell. Because the shell was mostly gone, she didnā€™t need any help for the final ā€œhatchā€m
Goose eggs are super easy to peel due to the thick membrane, thatā€™s why I was able to peel it so far down. but my experience with chicken eggs is quite the opposite, any premature peeling of the shell easily causes bleeding.

Attachments

• 33E288C6-8CAD-4BCE-8219-AFEA75BD6A30.jpeg
    33E288C6-8CAD-4BCE-8219-AFEA75BD6A30.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 15BC84AF-9A98-4355-8D8B-3A9063FD2E16.jpeg
    15BC84AF-9A98-4355-8D8B-3A9063FD2E16.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom