Hatching Help!!!!

CandiKreuz

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Indiana, USA
Hi everyone,
My name is Candice and I am new to this forum! To be honest, I was not intending to have baby ducks, but a momma duck abandoned her nest and so after a few days I took the eggs in and incubated them, honestly unsure that anything would hatch at that point, as I wasn’t sure if I was too late. Well low and behold one hatched Thursday, the 4th, and a second started externally pipping around 5 pm. The one that hatched is fluffy, eating well, and ready to be moved to the brooder. However, the pipping egg is still not hatched and I am starting to get worried. I have tried not to open the incubator but have cracked it to slip in water and some moist chicken mash for the older baby. However, the humidity has been fluctuating from ~92 all the way down to ~57 even without me opening it often. I have been trying to regulate it. The temperature has been around 97-99 at most times. Anyways, the pipped egg has made a pretty big hole and it is chirping and sticking its beak through but it isn’t actually zipping. Is it stuck? I’m unsure if I should intervene yet. It will be 48 hrs since externally pipping around 5 PM today. I’ve attached a picture of the healthy baby and the baby that is trying to hatch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Attachments

• F105025B-2111-4CC4-AB0B-DECF6B4D313D.jpeg
    F105025B-2111-4CC4-AB0B-DECF6B4D313D.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 39
Hi Candice. Welcome to BYC! If you want to make that hole a bit bigger and you can do so without tearing up any veins and causing bleeding the very very slowly and carefully do it. Your temps and humidity seem ok to me so if you can help the little one out slowy chip away at it.

In the meantime for the little one that hatched if you have a mirror or a little stuffed animal you could put in with her do it. She won't "have" to eat or drink for about 24 hours although if running around and really active I give them both.

where are you Candice? It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.
It's simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.

sometimes chicks accidently cut a circular hole and are unable to zip. so it is probably a good idea to start helping it now. carefully make the zip mark around for it and wait. if you see blood stop immediately and wait another 12 or so hours
Thank you!! I took your advice and the baby immediately pushed the top of the shell off itself. I put baby back in the incubator and it immediately kicked itself out of the whole egg. It is super active, peeping, and trying to walk all over. It’s little feet look a little curved and it’s literally falling all over the place. Is this normal for just hatching?

Hi Candice. Welcome to BYC! If you want to make that hole a bit bigger and you can do so without tearing up any veins and causing bleeding the very very slowly and carefully do it. Your temps and humidity seem ok to me so if you can help the little one out slowy chip away at it.

In the meantime for the little one that hatched if you have a mirror or a little stuffed animal you could put in with her do it. She won't "have" to eat or drink for about 24 hours although if running around and really active I give them both.
Thank you for the advice! I started making the “zip” line and the baby pushed the top off itself. It’s little foot was curved all the way up by its beak. I then laid it in the incubator still in the rest of the shell and it immediately pushed itself out. It is now chirping, and trying its best to walk all over. Very active!! It was apparently very ready to come out. However it is very wobbly and falling over a lot while trying to walk and it’s feet aren’t all the way spread out yet. Is that normal right after hatching??

where are you Candice? It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.
It's simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.
Gotcha! I just added my location :)

Thank you for the advice! I started making the “zip” line and the baby pushed the top off itself. It’s little foot was curved all the way up by its beak. I then laid it in the incubator still in the rest of the shell and it immediately pushed itself out. It is now chirping, and trying its best to walk all over. Very active!! It was apparently very ready to come out. However it is very wobbly and falling over a lot while trying to walk and it’s feet aren’t all the way spread out yet. Is that normal right after hatching??
Right after hatching it is totally normal.

Back
Top Bottom