Hatching Hybred eggs? (please red ) :/

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
Like in my other post I have a broody, Well my neighbor gave me a dozen of eggs, and said he diddent know how good they would do because their hybred. He got his hens from murray(sp?) and his rooster. I got these eggs right out of the coop.

Do any of you guys have experince hatching hybred eggs, if so how accurate was it?

What does he mean by hybrid? If he means his hatchery chickens are one breed and his rooster is another, you will be hatching mutts and that's fine and they will look like chickens and lay like chickens. If the parent breeds are good layers, yours will be too. If they aren't good layers, well, you can't make a gold purse out of a sow's ear!

I don't know what he meant, and his are awesome layers. I think they will be mutts. The hens are orange and the roosters are white, with other colors.

Red stars are mutts themselves, so the chicks will be just another mutt bird. They should hatch just fine as they are all still chickens. It is not like the breeding of a horse to a donkey or a lion to a tiger. Those are mixes of different species.

Quote:
The issue he was probably talking about is that when you breed hybrids, their traits are not always passed to subsequent generations. For example, although his birds are good layers, that does not mean your will be. They will still be chickens and still lay eggs but to what degree is yet to be determined. My guess is that you will have average birds that lay decent eggs. It's kinda like buying hybrid tomatoes and then planting the seeds from those tomatoes the following year. You will get tomatoes, but they may never turn red.

Oh ok well Im ok with that so Im going to put the eggs under her, Wish me lucky she wont bite me
lol.png

Quote:
Good luck and keep us posted. BTW if she doesn't want to get back on the eggs, remove the eggs, wait till she settles again, then try sliding them under her at night. That has worked for me. Even if you just put the eggs in the nest with her, not necessarily under her. She will move them under her, herself. Broody hens are really good at this. :)

Back
Top Bottom