hatching in a carton

Quote:
Can you order the Genesis on line? This is my first time I don't know know much about bators. I have a dry one. Thanks.

I ordered mine from Double R online and shipping was free. I tried to order from GQF their website wasn't functioning or I would have ordered from them. GQF has a deal for a little less than what I paid and you get quail eggs and a turner for both reg eggs and quail eggs and shipping is also free on that package.

I hatched in a carton, out of 27 eggs I got 21 live babies. One was half zipped and died (suffocation, possibly from the hatched babies laying against the zipped area or the chick hit a fluid pocket), the other 5 eggs had fully developed babies but the membrane had dried out and suffocated them. The cause for that was a terrible humidity problem, but that's operator error.

I just ordered a 2nd Genesis from Cutler Supply. They also sell on ebay. I had the bator in 2 days! I've been thrilled with Cutler Supply every time I've ordered from them.

Well mine started to pip today and after reading this I fixed a carten and popped them in really fast while adding water. I have 2 running around wet now and I am sure glad I did this! I could see how they would be bowling the others around.

I'm using the carton for 10 of my own eggs, Welsummers and Birchen Marans. They are due tomorrow. I'll post how it goes!
lol.png

Yes, when you take them out of the turner, you put them into the carton. If I did not have a turner, I would probably put them in the carton from day 1 and just tilt the carton a different direction each time I turned. That way the chick has a better chance of situating himself at the right end. But that is just me. Good luck.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom