Hatching in homemade incubator question

Ok. I have a question. This is my DIY incubator, it has forced air. My temp was steady at 100 and my humidity was and still is at 53%. I added my eggs this morning at 9:23. It was doing fine until about 10minutes ago and it jumped from 100 to 102. I adjusted an air hole it came down to 100 and then to 99. I've readjusted the air hole, but I'm still stuck at 99 degrees with 53% humidity. Need any and all advice.
Awesome job !!!
I had a few days that I messed with mine plugging holes adding holes temp went to 102 then to 97 then my wife said let it regulate and I took her advice the more I leave it alone the better they are.
You want it to stay between 99-102
Mine gets close to 102 but I watch it when it does
When I add water to bucket it takes a bit to adjust
Remember momma get off her eggs sometimes and the temp drops I let mine get down to 92 when I'm candling them

Ok. I have a question. This is my DIY incubator, it has forced air. My temp was steady at 100 and my humidity was and still is at 53%. I added my eggs this morning at 9:23. It was doing fine until about 10minutes ago and it jumped from 100 to 102. I adjusted an air hole it came down to 100 and then to 99. I've readjusted the air hole, but I'm still stuck at 99 degrees with 53% humidity. Need any and all advice.
I'm very interested in your hatch can you keep us posted
And have you candled your eggs yet I use my cell phone and clay here's a link

Last edited:

if the temp spike coincided with running out of water, find a way to make a larger reservoir without increasing surface area or add water more frequently. if you let the water run out, the temp will spike because evaporating water uses up heat (it's called latent heat).

I actually just put my eggs in this morning and my temp and humidity are right on the money where they start. A little adjustment and it levels back out, thankfully. The top is a modification of a couple of DYI incubator ideas. The light is a 25 watt bulb with inserted into a socket adapter that I insert from the inside of the cooler lid to the out. I added a table top dimmer cord, this was my adjustment. So you plug the adapter into the summer and the summer into the wall. Then the fan is a computer tower fan that I had laying around, a USB cord, plug. Just cut the small end off the USB only connect the red wires of the USB to red wires of fan and then the blk wires of the two, tape for safety, plug it to make sure it works. Mounted zip ties loosely. The the coil hood over the light is a Xmas gift box for to size, wrapped in foil, and duct taped into place.

To the OP, I would not try and seal that set up any more than it is, for lock down maybe just add a dish with a larger surface area to evaporate more water to raise the humidity. as for the temp, spikes are worse than dips. with dips, the process just slows a bit and presuming it's corrected, goes back to normal. with spikes, the high temp can kill the embryo. temps over 102 are most commonly associated with the issues.

a fan circulates the air and creates a more consistent temperature throughout the incubator. incubators with rans tend result in better hatch rates. still air incubators create a thermocline, an abrupt layer at which the temperature can go from too cold to too hot.

Fans also even out the relative humidity.

Back
Top Bottom