Hatching in winter

KitKatNB

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2019
So my Indian runner is currently sitting on one egg that's fertilized. I'm worried that since it's winter it's going to be too cold and it'll die. Her first batch was mid summer and they all didn't make it. So I'm worried. We have a coop and a wall heater. Any tips?

Welcome to BYC. What is the temperature range where you are located ? That will be a big factor in survival. Take always all swimming water so that the hen does not get wet and then wet the duckling.

I do not have a pool out at the moment as it is winter. We have a heated bowl that's big enough to last them the day but not for them to swim in. However it is much too big for a duckling and a duckling would likely drown. As for temperature, I live in Utah. One day it could be 50 Fahrenheit and the next could be 2.
My friend (who gave me the duck) suggested that I make a enclosed area for the duckling inside because as soon as it hatches she no longer cares for them. I also need to figure out what to do for a water dish.

If she just started sitting on the egg I'd watch it closely because runners are not good mothers usually. I had a couple of my runner girls start to sit this past year but they lost interest very quickly and gave up.

If you want to have ducklings now I'd take the egg and incubate it so that you have a better chance, actually I'd try to get 2-3 more eggs that you know are fertilized so the little one won't be lonely.

She actually just laid another fertilized egg. This Indian runner is known for being a dedicated sitter. I'm not worried about her not incubating them, I am more worried about what I should do with the duckling once it hatches because she loses interest once they all hatch.

Are you sure you want to do this, now? Just because she’s laying doesn’t mean you have to let her sit. It would be so much easier and nicer for ducklings to hatch closer to warm weather. My hens (some of them) are laying potentiality fertile eggs. I’m not up for hatching chicks this time of year, though we’ll be in winter a lot longer than you. Even in Utah though, spring is still a long way off.

Yeah. The one egg is too far along to go back now in my opinion. But I'm assuming I can bring the ducklings inside and keep them warm since she doesn't care for them once they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom