Hatching in winter

KitKatNB

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2019
So my Indian runner is currently sitting on one egg that's fertilized. I'm worried that since it's winter it's going to be too cold and it'll die. Her first batch was mid summer and they all didn't make it. So I'm worried. We have a coop and a wall heater. Any tips?

If she just started sitting on the egg I'd watch it closely because runners are not good mothers usually. I had a couple of my runner girls start to sit this past year but they lost interest very quickly and gave up.

If you want to have ducklings now I'd take the egg and incubate it so that you have a better chance, actually I'd try to get 2-3 more eggs that you know are fertilized so the little one won't be lonely.

IMG_20191124_090010.jpg On also if you can get Mazuri starter it's much less stinky. Pricey but muuuch less stinky than flock raiser.

I just raised some in my kitchen. There are steps you can take to keep.The mess down. Raising on puppy pee pads makes for easy cleaning and using a Tupperware with a hole cut in the lid after the first week cute down on the mess. I kept them in for four weeks and by that time I was ready for them to go to the barn. We all enjoyed watching each other.
A dozen muttling eggs in the egg tree........hint hint

She actually just laid another fertilized egg. This Indian runner is known for being a dedicated sitter. I'm not worried about her not incubating them, I am more worried about what I should do with the duckling once it hatches because she loses interest once they all hatch.

I just raised some in my kitchen. There are steps you can take to keep.The mess down. Raising on puppy pee pads makes for easy cleaning and using a Tupperware with a hole cut in the lid after the first week cute down on the mess. I kept them in for four weeks and by that time I was ready for them to go to the barn. We all enjoyed watching each other.

What I'm getting is I should keep them warm until they get their adult feathers and a re able to produce their own waterproof oils?

Back
Top Bottom