Winter Preparations

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Winter is very much upon us, especially where I live. Very cold night which only means one things. I thought I’d make this post so everyone can share their tips for the winter time with ducks and share your set up of your coop area for the winter! First year duck owner heading into winter and want to get some ideas. We have a general idea of what we want to do, but would like to see and hear everyone’s tips! Thanks again!

One thing to remember is ventilation they make a lot of moist air which needs a place to go so no one gets frostbite. I keep my windows open at the top about 6"[on the east and south side] this plus vents around the roof helps keep the coop dry and warm.

I also don't put food and water inside. except for my chickens and it's up off the floor so the ducks can't make a total mess of the coop.

I use deep litter bedding so everyone can snuggle down into it at night to keep those webbies warm.
I also clean all the wet poop at daily and add new bedding as needed.

I learned last year they need an area that’s covered from wind and snow
I built this add on to keep feed and water in
It has a screen door that I did add a duck door to the bottom so they can go out if they want
2 windows ( one has a fresh air fan )
Clear greenhouse panels to allow it to heat up a little
In the summer I use a shade curtain to block direct sun so it doesn’t get to hot
I never keep water in the actual coop and I clean my coop daily
These things keep the moisture down
I also shovel an area so they can adventure out when they want
We get to -48C at times and on those days they don’t come outside
I only do smaller round sleds for bathing when it gets above zero
I use heated water buckets so they don’t freeze
I do use a small plug in heater on those really cold days just to take the edge off in the coop but not yo warm it up to much as they need to adjust to winter weather

Attachments

• EFDE14D5-D384-4BEA-85DC-C472425D5772.png
    EFDE14D5-D384-4BEA-85DC-C472425D5772.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 9FBF9CF0-C578-4602-81D4-27B3DCCA2FFC.png
    9FBF9CF0-C578-4602-81D4-27B3DCCA2FFC.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • DFEA0380-1228-4911-9AC9-84D160DB7031.png
    DFEA0380-1228-4911-9AC9-84D160DB7031.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
@New duck mommy 2021 thats really cold! like -55F wow i dont think i could even breathe that air
Im thankful it only goes down to around zero here but just a couple of nights with wind chill its around -25F overnight but everyone is all tucked in their coop with deep litter at night :)
if its not going to get above 20F during a day I bring them into my garage room addition :)

@New duck mommy 2021 thats really cold! like -55F wow i dont think i could even breathe that air
Im thankful it only goes down to around zero here but just a couple of nights with wind chill its around -25F overnight but everyone is all tucked in their coop with deep litter at night :)
if its not going to get above 20F during a day I bring them into my garage room addition :)
It gets really cold here :(

We have a 10x10 dog kennel with roof for the ducks and their coop goes inside of it. But we want to get some kind of material to put around it to block wind and snow for the most part except leaving some space at the tops for ventilation. We live in the country and wide open yard so we get some pretty nasty wind in the winter. We are going to put the kennel near the house to block some wind and snow. Just need some ideas of what will stand the wind and we would prefer something clear so they can see while outside. If anyone has any ideas what about be great. We need to cover about 10x5 on 3 sides. Gonna leave the door side open for more ventilation since it will be facing the house there won’t be much of a draft. I appreciate any suggestions on material we can use.
@Miss Lydia @ruthhope @Jenbirdee

Last edited:
I just posted in another thread about this very topic as I was concerned with the 20deg (F) overnight temperature. Here's a picture of their house and run. I closed the windows last night, though there's a small round window in the door (also closed at night) so there is some escape for moisture and no wind. It's a wood floor with a stall mat and a lot of pine shavings. I clean it out daily and replenish shavings regularly. I had been giving them a small amount of water at night since they get treats when they go in the house at bedtime, but I think I may stop that during the cold months (I'm in western VA by the way) and put their treats in water, then take the bowl when they finish rather than leaving any liquid in the house. Will try that tonight. The run also has plexiglass-type panels on the windy side, though we may add the other panels if the temperature falls drastically during daytime hours. I'll be keeping a close eye on them as I am also a first-time duck owner and this is our first winter, and last night our first very cold night. Also open to any other suggestions for warmth.

Attachments

• House.jpeg
    House.jpeg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 12
Okay so I’m converting a greenhouse to the duck house and I’m winterizing and planning to winterize further as it goes.
I’m in Ontario (Canada) and it gets to -40°c where I’m at.

I plan to have the ducks in their duck house most / all of the winter on those bad days, not going outside.
If I’m going to have their water inside, is there any way I can ensure the ducks can dry off to avoid frost bite ?

I was going to use buckets with “head holes” so they can’t splash the water on themselves but I have a duck with scoliosis who I’m worried will get stuck.
I’d feel awful to have him be the only duck inside without his siblings, but I’m not sure if there’s a safe way for him to be outside either.
Either way the other ducks will be outside drinking water as well of course (in the duck house) so I’m all sorts of worried haha
I’d appreciate any tips / advice!

Buckets with head holes work great here in summer once winter sets in I have to use heated buckets or I carry water out 3X a day. As long as they can't splash the water out all over themselves the buckets with head holes should work. The duck with scoliosis you may have to watch to see if he can use the head hole buckets. How do you plan on keeping the water from freezing?

Can someone recommend what they use to keep water from freezing? Do they use a heated waterer? Can you post pictures or links?

Back
Top Bottom