Deep Litter Method/Winter Time

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Winter in upon us, and this is our first winter with ducks. We want them to stay as warm as possible and want to know how to correctly do the deep litter method. also, how do you help keep the ammonia smell down? also, do you have the entire grass area in the run covered with straw or something so their feet are off the ground? right now we have a 10x10 dog kennel with their coop inside. We have 2 clear tarps around the windy sides and we put a pallet on the ground covered in hay. we want to get another pallet to put their food and water on for the winter. we also would like to do some kind of water heater. can you share what you use to keep your water from freezing? any and all winter suggestions are very helpful as we want toe best for our babies! thank you again everyone

Winter in upon us, and this is our first winter with ducks. We want them to stay as warm as possible and want to know how to correctly do the deep litter method.
Of course! Deep litter is like the best way to keep them *warmer*.
also, do you have the entire grass area in the run covered with straw or something so their feet are off the ground?
I would suggest putting something like wood shavings down there, they hold heat pretty well and would work if you were to do that.
right now we have a 10x10 dog kennel with their coop inside. We have 2 clear tarps around the windy sides and we put a pallet on the ground covered in hay. we want to get another pallet to put their food and water on for the winter. we also would like to do some kind of water heater.
Yeah, I'd put hay bales in the run area. It's a weird idea, but if you put it on the wall, or next to the coop, with a bit of space, they can squeeze behind it to sleep comfortably. It also helps "suck up" some of the cold air.
can you share what you use to keep your water from freezing? any and all winter suggestions are very helpful as we want toe best for our babies! thank you again everyone
You can get a water heating pad to keep it warm.

Hope this helps!

Of course! Deep litter is like the best way to keep them *warmer*.

I would suggest putting something like wood shavings down there, they hold heat pretty well and would work if you were to do that.

Yeah, I'd put hay bales in the run area. It's a weird idea, but if you put it on the wall, or next to the coop, with a bit of space, they can squeeze behind it to sleep comfortably. It also helps "suck up" some of the cold air.

You can get a water heating pad to keep it warm.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much. What about to keep the ammonia down in the coop? do you ever clean out the coop? Or just keep adding on top of it? not really sure how to start a deep litter method and she process of it.
So I should use straw in the run area? Or wood shavings? lol

Thank you so much. What about to keep the ammonia down in the coop? do you ever clean out the coop? Or just keep adding on top of it? not really sure how to start a deep litter method and she process of it.
So I should use straw in the run area? Or wood shavings? lol
I don't own ducks, but I'm guessing they're generally similar.
As long as there is ventilation in the coop, and if you clean it out every now and then, the ammonia should be fine.

I use sweet PDZ, ie. zeolite granular (not powder) for smells (ammonia) but I am still not 100% certain that deep litter (creating heat) will work with that addition, as it may effect the bacteria and therefore the heat buildup. I am posting in another thread regarding this right now, as I've been attempting to determine that.
As far as water in the coop at night, I make it hard for them to get it but they can if they really need it. I but a deep bucket inside a metal basin with heat and they can dip their heads down for sips but cannot bath at all. Because mine are in the coop a long time from 4:30 to 8:30 or 9:00 AM, I think they need some water.

I was researching the deep litter method for creating heat and wanted to add a couple questions on this thread. If you're using the deep litter method primarily for heat, and not for compost, does it matter how much of the droppings you leave in the mix? If we still clean it fairly regularly but assume there were some droppings that fell through and keep adding hay, will it still create heat or are more droppings crucial for the heating process? I'm not sure on the chemistry here, but it's hard to not clean the coop when there clumps of dropping everyday.

I wonder if you are asking for ducks or chickens. The pic looks like the later. I have assumed ducks are different and I started this thread to determine if deep litter even works with ducks, because the smell might knock you (and the ducks) out, if you don't do it right.

I wonder if you are asking for ducks or chickens. The pic looks like the later. I have assumed ducks are different and I started this thread to determine if deep litter even works with ducks, because the smell might knock you (and the ducks) out, if you don't do it right.
Oh, I'm asking for chickens! I didn't noticed that I was in the ducks thread. Apologies.

I have used deep litter for many years and haven't had a problem at all but I do clean out all wet poopy shaving daily. I put the poopy shaving in a particular place in the large area then in the spring I use it to mix with the soil I plant veggies in it has been composted over winter.
My ducks sleep in the shavings and it is deep enough they can scooch down into it to keep warm.

Back
Top Bottom