Indian Runner still has not had full molt

auce99

Songster
6 Years
Sep 30, 2017
Miami
Hello, friends!

I have an almost 3yr-old Indian Runner (Onyx) that still has not had a full molt, and I'm a little worried. Her flight feathers and tail feathers are very raggedy. Her 'sisters' (the ones I got at the same time/age) have both molted in full, at least once. And my two originals (one's a drake) molt almost on a perfect schedule every year.

As a flock, they have a large pen and get regular feedings and yard foraging time. Purina Duck Pellets are their food of choice, with supplemented veggies in the morning and at night, and mealworms as treats. Onyx runs around me in circles when it's any kind of food time - her life is food! So I know she eats well - I witness that! I live in a very warm climate (South Florida), so cold weather is never a factor.

She and my Cayuga are my drake's (Desi) favorite mating targets, so I'm sure that adds to the raggedness. I don't think she's being over-mated, since he has 4 girls the choose from. But I do know he like her a lot.

She occasionally lays a soft-shelled egg mid-day (rather than overnight/early morning), and she just drops it, and runs away. That's despite the oyster shells she has access to, and the others still laying perfectly fine eggs. Not sure if that is a stressor for her, or tied to this issue in any way, but putting it out there.

So... should I be looking for something that's a reason for her not to have had a full molt yet? Is there anything I should do differently? Could there be an underlying health issue?

Picture I snapped this morning, as she kept running away from me - they all hate when I pull out my phone. She's a Black Runner, that's turned half white. (that's her older sister, Coco, with her).

TIA - any advice/help is welcome!

Attachments

• Onyx.jpg
    Onyx.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I would get her some calcium gluconate. Some do not eat enough oyster shell. It is sold at the feed store as an injectable for cattle. I just pour a mL or so over a spoonful of dried mealworms or soldier worms. Also, I would increase her protein level. You can do that several ways, floating Mazuri water fowl food, floating catfish food, dried worms, scrambled eggs, even dry cat kibble if she will eat it. Her body may be lacking the necessary requirements for molting.

I would get her some calcium gluconate. Some do not eat enough oyster shell. It is sold at the feed store as an injectable for cattle. I just pour a mL or so over a spoonful of dried mealworms or soldier worms. Also, I would increase her protein level. You can do that several ways, floating Mazuri water fowl food, floating catfish food, dried worms, scrambled eggs, even dry cat kibble if she will eat it. Her body may be lacking the necessary requirements for molting.
I was wondering if it might be the protein levels. I've tried giving them the Mazuri before, and they wanted nothing to do with it. I'll try again, and maybe give them more opportunities to try it. Or the other options.

And thanks for the calcium supplement idea. Never would've thought of that!

So sorry if I’m wrong, but her wingtips look exactly like the wingtips of my ducks who were at the lowest in the pecking order and were being picked on. You also say she’s a “favorite” of your drake, which tells me even more so that she’s at the lowest. Are you certain she’s still molting?

So sorry if I’m wrong, but her wingtips look exactly like the wingtips of my ducks who were at the lowest in the pecking order and were being picked on. You also say she’s a “favorite” of your drake, which tells me even more so that she’s at the lowest. Are you certain she’s still molting?
She's NOT molting - that's my concern. She still has her original flight feathers and tail feathers. It's hard to tell if she's even molted partially, since those are the main indicator feathers when they DO molt.

I was wondering if it might be the protein levels. I've tried giving them the Mazuri before, and they wanted nothing to do with it. I'll try again, and maybe give them more opportunities to try it. Or the other options.

My ducks are much more likely to eat anything floating in water than dry, if that helps.

She's NOT molting - that's my concern. She still has her original flight feathers and tail feathers. It's hard to tell if she's even molted partially, since those are the main indicator feathers when they DO molt.
Oh, sorry, I see. I agree with cheezenkwackers then.

This was what I was thinking when I saw the photo. The raggedy flight feathers look like the girls that were getting harassed by the drake in my flock. He would not leave them alone and I think they were just not getting enough protein to keep up with the harassment, chasing, mating. It never stopped.

I ended up rehoming the group of 4 ducks that he targeted. The girls are healthy at the new place and my kept ducks all look nice too.

More protein won't induce molt.. reduced protein (or nutrition/intake) MIGHT. Or will it?! Yes, in my experience (hair loss after bariatric surgery) and also done commercially to maintain production schedules. But is it necessary??

Reduced lighting can be used to induce molt.. another commercial and usually otherwise natural process.

You're fighting genetics here rather than something you've caused, IMO, since this one is the outlier. They haven't read our books about what they "should" do to be considered normal or average.

Even when a bird does molt, they don't always molt out or replace the feathers we think they should, again in my experience.

Hope she molts soon enough and continues to thrive!

Try mixing in the Mazuri with her regular food, a little bit at first, then more.

Back
Top Bottom