1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Incubator Problems, Multiple Hatches At the Same Time, Too much humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MontainBourbons, Jan 9, 2017.

1. MontainBourbons

MontainBourbons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    Hello, I am just about to start hatching out my eggs in my GQF cabinet incubator and last year I ran into lots of problems. I need lots of poultry so I usually have to do a couple of batches. The only bad thing is when I need to raise the humididty the eggs that hatch later suffer. The eggsac shrinks too much. Does anybody know of a good solution or even just an incubator just for just hatching???

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I'm incubating in my 1502 for the first time now. bobwhite and cream legbar. so I am not sure about hatching and still incubating at same time.

I'm not going to use it as a hatcher. I have a couple 1588 genesis I'm going to hatch in.

I'm hoping to maintain humidity for incubating eggs. And the mess of hatching will be confined to the styro.

Plan to set eggs each week.

3. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    What Feedman said.
    I incubate in the cabinet and hatch in the 2 Genesis. You can find used styrofoam incubators on Craigslist pretty often. Or wait another month or two until they go on sale at the farm stores. Even a still air styrofoam will work for hatching. I found I got better results by partially covering the fan so it doesn't blow on the eggs.

4. timperkins

timperkins Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2016
    I built a homemade incubator. temperature stability is great in my test runs but having a horrible time with no humidity. any suggestions? I'm actually considering a humidifier on a hydrostatic but hoping to keep it a little simpler

5. timperkins

timperkins Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2016
    also I am contemplating building a hatcher. had bad experiences with a little giant Styrofoam kit but sounds like it might work for just hatching?

6. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Humidity level in an incubator is relative to the surface area of the water. The more surface area, the higher the humidity. Depth of the water only affects how often you have to fill it.
    If the container is too large then cover part of it with foil to decrease the exposed surface area.

7. rustymurphy

rustymurphy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2016
    Fairchild Wis
    I am sorry but I am having same issue my eggs develop good but die before hatching membrane inside eggs is tough as leather don't know why

8. moving coops

moving coops Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Because of that we invested in a separate hatcher. Sportsman (GQF) also makes just a hatcher and you can hatch on multiple levels. Made a huge difference! For the amount of eggs we need to hatch is was worth the investment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by