Hatching Mandarins- advice needed asap

ktwhite

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
Hey all- I bought 9 mandarin eggs off of ebay about a month ago, and according to the seller, they should be hatching at day 26 (I know this is approximately). Today is day 27- yesterday I began to get a little bit anxious, but just because these guys are greatly looked forward to. At the point that I put them in lockdown, one had died within the first seven days, five were doing and developing great, and three were unfertilized. About thirty minutes ago I saw movement in one of the five, but no movement since and no external pip. This is only my second time incubating ducks (although I have had much experience with chickens), and last time, I saw movement in one of the eggs, but it never externally pipped. A couple of days later I opened it up and it had died, I am guessing shortly after I saw it moving (my others hatched perfectly, and are now 4 week old mallards!). Because of this, I am extremely wary that the same thing will happen, since I am still not sure what caused the last death. In all of the cases that I have seen of assisting in hatching (which I only plan to use as a last resort but wanted to be educated on just in case), all of the eggs had externally pipped at that point... Anyways, my question is, at what point should I begin to be worried after seeing movement but no pip? And at how many days should I be worried about my other mandies having no movement at all?
Edited: I have been doing more research, and am wondering when is the earliest a safety hole can be put in? Also, in the past I have never taken eggs out of the incubator when in lockdown, but at this point what would be the best way to candle to check for an internal pip?

Last edited:
If your a day late i would put in a safety hole
I put in a safety hole last night at about 10pm- at that point they had been internally pipped for around 24 with no external pip. There has been no external progress since last night. Some bruising has developed on one of the shells and grown over the past 12 hours, I heard chirping this morning, and I have seen slight movement in two of the eggs, but that is the only change. What should be my next step since they have now been 24 hours with a safety hole but no progress and we are on day 29?
Edited: A larger hole has been made in all five. 4/5 beaks can be seen, the one with the bruising seems to be full of blood and no beak can be seen but is breathing. Thinking it is not positioned right?

Last edited:
Turns out that the one with the bruising was positioned with his head at the small end of the shell. We did everything we could, but we lost him last night. The other guys seem ready to come out, but small blood vessels can still be seen so we but Bacitracin on the membranes and are leaving them be. One of them has been a little bit too ready to leave, and has managed to get himself about halfway out, but his yolk sac is not completely absorbed. I have seen where some people take them out at this point and put them in a cup to allow it to continue to absorb, but for now we have left him in the incubator because he doesn't seem to be leaving any further and he is still wet. If anyone has any suggestions for how to best help him, please don't hold back.

I'm sorry you lost one. That's always so sad. The one still absorbing I would leave in the incubator too. Especially since hes wet. Post pics of them after the hatch 😊

First two out- others are on their way :)
Also, should dark green poop be concerning?

Attachments

• 362C894B-C4F2-4723-A443-CF4D0CFCA2D3.jpeg
    362C894B-C4F2-4723-A443-CF4D0CFCA2D3.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom