1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching more pullets than cockerels - WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by save the favs, Jan 1, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, they're pretty ridiculous, some of these mythical methods. If you flip a quarter, you have a 50/50 chance of being right. Wonder if I could market that? [​IMG]

2. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:I can see it now! AS SEEN ON TV ........... FLIP A QUARTER, HATCH A PULLET EVERY TIME!

3. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    ooooooo! Great posts I'm hearing here, keep them coming. I love hearing about the old farmer ways, as many of them sure had a knack for doing things that worked for them. Although, my grandmother did often say to my grandfather, "you ole' fool"; she was kinda mean. Besides, it's part of all of our cultures; gotta pass those stories on & not just let them fade.

PurpleChicken: Anything that may help get more pullets, I'm game to try. What size tape was that & was it dark or light pink?

sonew123: Yes she is!

4. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    my method is fool proof. I cross my fingers.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    All of those methods work, with 50% accuracy.

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Here you go :

" Method and apparatus for determining the sex of a fertilized egg United States Patent 7167579

An accuracy of the sex determination which is visually inspected by human based on a reference drawing of an egg shape prepared for every parent chicken is insufficient and it takes much time to perform such a determination. Thus, the sex of the fertilized egg is determined by using parameters representing features developed on a surface shape of the above described fertilized egg which are quantified based on contour image data of the above described fertilized egg obtained by taking an image of the fertilized egg which is placed on a setting stand. "

I think its just a " Set it and forget it " type apparatus . [​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I don't know any secrets, but my last hatch of 2 eggs...both are pullets. I'm thrilled! The first hatch - 4 roos, 3 girls. Probably more typical.

8. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:*snicker* I have some purple duct tape....what would that get me?
    Has anyone tried diet changes for their layers? The method we use with goats is ACV (apple cider vinegar) in the water before & during breeding season, and I recall a method for humans using vinegar douche to get girls & baking soda for boys.
    My first hatch was last September: 5 pullets 1 roo from 14 shipped eggs, hatches 2 & 3 Silkies: not yet declared.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Someone posted an article about a test that a certain college did. They found that the higher the progesterone levels were in the hen at the time she laid the egg would result in a better chance of hatching a pullet than cockerel. I'll see if I can find it...

ETA: here it is! Not hard to find https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273673

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:*snicker* I have some purple duct tape....what would that get me?
    Has anyone tried diet changes for their layers? The method we use with goats is ACV (apple cider vinegar) in the water before & during breeding season, and I recall a method for humans using vinegar douche to get girls & baking soda for boys.
    My first hatch was last September: 5 pullets 1 roo from 14 shipped eggs, hatches 2 & 3 Silkies: not yet declared.

Some hens and some "metro" roosters. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by