Hatching Muscovy X Khaki crosses, need help!

Anybody?? I'm so anxious! Lol

I'd wait at LEAST 48 hours before thinking of intervening! That's about how much oxygen they have in that little air cell. If there's no external pip by then, you can put a "safe hole" in the shell above the air sac, but no more. However, considering that both scovies and khakis are good, strong hatchers, I really don't think you have aaaaany reason to worry. :)

I'd wait at LEAST 48 hours before thinking of intervening! That's about how much oxygen they have in that little air cell. If there's no external pip by then, you can put a "safe hole" in the shell above the air sac, but no more. However, considering that both scovies and khakis are good, strong hatchers, I really don't think you have aaaaany reason to worry. :)

Thank you! I was thinking 24-36 hours which would put me at some time tonight or while I was at work tomorrow. It would be perfect if they would wait until tomorrow afternoon! But I guess I am on their schedule...

You can, but I would leave 'em alone. Unless you can candle them without moving the eggs at all. It sounds like they're all close to hatching anyhow, so I don't think you should worry unless you have some stragglers.

Huh, interesting. I didn't know scovies and khakis could breed! I wonder if they'll be sterile like most mules? I guess a few months down the line you'll know if you go to make an omelette and find it only has the white, hehe! 

Please let us know how the hatch goes, I'm very curious to see what the lil' fuzzbutts will look like! Sounds like one definitely is internally pipped, mine would do the same vanishing act when I shone the light on them. "Ack, Mom, lemme sleep, I'm tired from this hard work!" :p Sometimes they'll even react when you try cooing at them, either by wiggling or peeping! <3
is this really how you get eggs with only whites? from sterile chickens or ducks?

Back
Top Bottom