Hatching now complete!! Babies and more babies...update pg. 3**PICS**

A happy update! I was certain that my (not) black cochin chick had no chance of making it past the hour, much less through the night. However, after putting him in the brooder with the other chicks (I figured that, if nothing else, at least he could pass warm and dry) he seems to be doing much better. He's getting the hang of sitting up on those long legs, and is even beginning to walk a little bit (though he has a tendency to scoot on his belly, pushing off with his big feet.) He's sleeping and peeping and looking around with all the other chicks, as well. I know he isn't out of the woods by a long shot, and may require some chicken PT, but I'm happy to see he might just pull through this. He's a fighter, and so has been named Victory.

We've got another cochin! Not doing quite as well as the others at this stage, but seems to be catching up. Eight pips that haven't hatched yet, one Ancona starting to zip.

^_^

Ahhhh...so tired. What looked like it was shaping up to be a dud hatch turned out to be fruitful, to say the least. We have:

2 Ancona
1 Buff Orpington
2 Lemon Blue Cochin
1 Silver Spangled Hamburg
1 Australorp
2 Black Andalusians
1 Blue Cochin
3 Golden Laced Cochin
1 Mottled Cochin
1 Golden Lakenvelder

We also have about 8 more pips, and there seemed to be activity in even the shells that weren't pipped yet (peeping, rocking). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 1 loss hatch. Fluffybutt pics coming soon!

Daughter of Oldtimegator

PICS of all babies except 3 still in the bator:

9079_bantam_cochin_1_131.jpg
[/img]

Another update:

So we have a total of 19 chicks so far out of 37 eggs. We had one death last night...a NHR that zipped half way then died...
sad.png
...just don't get it??

All the others are doing great. Here are a couple of updated photos.

9079_hpim0834.jpg
[/img]

9079_hpim0836.jpg
[/img]

It looks like I have 2 lemon-blue cochins. One is mostly yellow with some blue and the other is mostly blue with some yellow. I'll be excited to see them grow up over! I got the eggs from a breeder on Ebay. The fertility was great and no scrambled eggs from the PO.

congrats OTG on your great hatch!
and there are usually some eggies that don't hatch even though they pip or even kinda zip. we usually don't know why but it's usually because nature "knows" there is a problem with the baby. it's still hard tho - i certainly know this.
and regarding your black cochin. i had a serama chick who sounds very much like this little guy. we coddled and spoiled him as he grew and guess what? he is doing GREAT!
here is a pic of the "special" guy. he walks waaaay different than the other chickens and he seems to be a little slower in terms of intelligence but over all he does very well and enjoys life in the flock - eating and poopin' and hanging out in the grass pickin' bugs . . .
so don't give up!
big_smile.png

IMG_1014_2.jpg

Latest update at 4:00 pm...

Sad news first...lost a cochin to the "froth" issue....whatever that is. When frothy bubbles started coming from the pip I opened a larger hole for the baby to breath. Just frothy bubbles came from it's beak. Breathing slowed and I took the baby out and tried to help it anyway I could. It's crop was full of air and fluid although the rest of the egg wasn't. I think these babies are partially aspirating fluid and becoming congested before even hatching. Don't think there is anything that can be done.

On a happy note we now have:

2 Ancona
1 Buff Orpington
3 Lemon Blue Cochin
1 Silver Spangled Hamburg
2 Australorp
2 Black Andalusians
3 Blue Cochin
5 Golden Laced Cochin
1 Mottled Cochin
1 Golden Lakenvelder
1 Ameracauna

Pipped are:
1 NHR
2 cochin
1 Ameracauna
2 Wellsummers

5 eggs remain unpipped but I'm still holding out some hope. This is day 22...
hmm.png

Thanks for your views of these boring posts
big_smile.png
and your well wishes!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif

9079_hpim0840_edited.jpg
[/img]

Back
Top Bottom