Hatching or not hatching

lulubella

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hi all,

We are on day 24 with absolutely no sign of movement or pipping. I have raised dozens of chicks in my bog-standard lamp incubator and not worried with any humidity/candling/weighing stuff. However, with a new incubator with no bulb and a whirring sound I'm guessing I have a forced air one? Anyway. NOTHING is happening after 24 days and this time I have candled/weighed and carefully kept humidity at 45 - 50 days 1-18 then +60. (there was sign of life in all 6 eggs and the weight has been dropping at the right rate) - Never had these issues before. What am I doing wrong? Have to add that this is the second batch I have had this with. 6 weeks ago we had to help 3 out of their shells when they pipped but nothing more after 36hours (sadly all died)

Anybody got any ideas what's up?

thanks

Hi all,

We are on day 24 with absolutely no sign of movement or pipping. I have raised dozens of chicks in my bog-standard lamp incubator and not worried with any humidity/candling/weighing stuff. However, with a new incubator with no bulb and a whirring sound I'm guessing I have a forced air one? Anyway. NOTHING is happening after 24 days and this time I have candled/weighed and carefully kept humidity at 45 - 50 days 1-18 then +60. (there was sign of life in all 6 eggs and the weight has been dropping at the right rate) - Never had these issues before. What am I doing wrong? Have to add that this is the second batch I have had this with. 6 weeks ago we had to help 3 out of their shells when they pipped but nothing more after 36hours (sadly all died)

Anybody got any ideas what's up?

thanks
Personally I don't like incubation with anything over 45%, (I run 30-35% and monitor air cells). The method I use is in the link at the bottom of my post. It's a low humidity incubation method that has great results especially in the styrofoam bators if you have accurate thermometers/hygrometers. I also shoot for higher humidty at hatch. What are you using for temps?

Hi Amy Lynn,

thanks for this. I never worried about humidity before just filled up the tank and had great hatches at about 103

This new incubator says to go for 100 which I have (37.8f) - seems high tech has ruined my hatches (shame too as they were rare breeds and I hate seeing anything start to live then not make it :( ) Since posting I have candled again. One is defo a dud, one looks like it has some substance in it, and the other 4 look like they have watery custard inside!

thanks for your help :)

Hi Amy Lynn,

thanks for this. I never worried about humidity before just filled up the tank and had great hatches at about 103

This new incubator says to go for 100 which I have (37.8f) - seems high tech has ruined my hatches (shame too as they were rare breeds and I hate seeing anything start to live then not make it :( ) Since posting I have candled again. One is defo a dud, one looks like it has some substance in it, and the other 4 look like they have watery custard inside!

thanks for your help :)
Yes, fan forced is recommended at 99.5. I have an older LG (9200 model) with the fan kit installed. Temp control is very touchy on those things. I'm just happy if I can keep the temps above 99 and under 101...lol I average between 99.5-100.5, so I am happy...lol

Back
Top Bottom