Hatching or not hatching

lulubella

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hi all,

We are on day 24 with absolutely no sign of movement or pipping. I have raised dozens of chicks in my bog-standard lamp incubator and not worried with any humidity/candling/weighing stuff. However, with a new incubator with no bulb and a whirring sound I'm guessing I have a forced air one? Anyway. NOTHING is happening after 24 days and this time I have candled/weighed and carefully kept humidity at 45 - 50 days 1-18 then +60. (there was sign of life in all 6 eggs and the weight has been dropping at the right rate) - Never had these issues before. What am I doing wrong? Have to add that this is the second batch I have had this with. 6 weeks ago we had to help 3 out of their shells when they pipped but nothing more after 36hours (sadly all died)

Anybody got any ideas what's up?

thanks

AmyLynn2374

Humidity Queen
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Gouverneur, NY
Hi all,

We are on day 24 with absolutely no sign of movement or pipping. I have raised dozens of chicks in my bog-standard lamp incubator and not worried with any humidity/candling/weighing stuff. However, with a new incubator with no bulb and a whirring sound I'm guessing I have a forced air one? Anyway. NOTHING is happening after 24 days and this time I have candled/weighed and carefully kept humidity at 45 - 50 days 1-18 then +60. (there was sign of life in all 6 eggs and the weight has been dropping at the right rate) - Never had these issues before. What am I doing wrong? Have to add that this is the second batch I have had this with. 6 weeks ago we had to help 3 out of their shells when they pipped but nothing more after 36hours (sadly all died)

Anybody got any ideas what's up?

thanks
Personally I don't like incubation with anything over 45%, (I run 30-35% and monitor air cells). The method I use is in the link at the bottom of my post. It's a low humidity incubation method that has great results especially in the styrofoam bators if you have accurate thermometers/hygrometers. I also shoot for higher humidty at hatch. What are you using for temps?

lulubella

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hi Amy Lynn,

thanks for this. I never worried about humidity before just filled up the tank and had great hatches at about 103

This new incubator says to go for 100 which I have (37.8f) - seems high tech has ruined my hatches (shame too as they were rare breeds and I hate seeing anything start to live then not make it :( ) Since posting I have candled again. One is defo a dud, one looks like it has some substance in it, and the other 4 look like they have watery custard inside!

thanks for your help :)

AmyLynn2374

Humidity Queen
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Gouverneur, NY
Hi Amy Lynn,

thanks for this. I never worried about humidity before just filled up the tank and had great hatches at about 103

This new incubator says to go for 100 which I have (37.8f) - seems high tech has ruined my hatches (shame too as they were rare breeds and I hate seeing anything start to live then not make it :( ) Since posting I have candled again. One is defo a dud, one looks like it has some substance in it, and the other 4 look like they have watery custard inside!

thanks for your help :)
Yes, fan forced is recommended at 99.5. I have an older LG (9200 model) with the fan kit installed. Temp control is very touchy on those things. I'm just happy if I can keep the temps above 99 and under 101...lol I average between 99.5-100.5, so I am happy...lol

Top Bottom