Hatching Party! Wanna Join?! Set 8/7, Hatching 8/27!!

Ugh. I hope I did the right thing.

It had stretched out to the point that there was a clear area in the vein(?) for about an inch, but she kept trying to move away and the very end of it had dried to the paper towel. Couldn't get to the bit dried on without opening the hatcher, but ... decided that if the vessel was clear, no blood was coming through it, then it would be okay to snip it off below (to the stuck side, not to the chick side). And decided that if she couldn't move around because of being glued down like that, she was liable to hurt herself lunging and yanking it off at her bottom.

So, I poured some rubbing alcohol over a pair of super sharp embroidery scissors and got my husband to help me quick-in-snip-out. Temp held at 100, and I'm watching the humidity in case I need to drip some water in and bump it back up again. She's moved away now, staggering around a bit.
fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey can I ask...do they hatch out fine sitting in the carton? Is that a good way to keep them first to hatch from messing with the others? Any tricks to doing this? I might try it?

This is my first hatch, so I have no basis for comparison.

It seems that, after they throw off the "lid" that they zipped out, it's a bit of an effort for them to lift themselves up out of the cup that's left. I can see where it might be easier for them if the egg was laying on it's side so they could ... well, more like wallow out, instead of lurch out.

That said, so far so good. Three zipped and three out. And they aren't rolling around. And they stay upright so I can see full circle of the zip and keep track of the progress.

I read somewhere to cut little holes in the bottom of each cup for drainage, just in case. I haven't had any drainage for the holes, but I guess it's better that it's there. I also used styrofoam cartons just like these, holes and all, and hotglued a 10" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe longways underneath, between the two rows of egg cups, for incubation. For turning, I just leaned up the lid on my bator, and leaned the whole carton to the other side. Basically a 90* turn, but fast fast fast, because one lean moves up to a dozen eggs. I can fit three egg cartons into my LG Still Air at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one wobbly Pekin chick. No sign of pips in the others and humidity down.
Day 22 in 4 hours. Worried. What do I do?
I should open it up but grrrr!

Back
Top Bottom