Hatching Party! Wanna Join?! Set 8/7, Hatching 8/27!!

Aaahhh, I just love babies!! Makes me wanna start a new batch after the guineas next week, but I promised myself I'd wait til spring since it's going to be getting cold here in Ohio.
sad.png

I have it all planned for spring, more chickens, more ducks, and some pheasants.
big_smile.png

Lovely babies everyone!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Thanks Chad I feel better now.

Not a problem I had the same feelings when mine did that then some of the chicks were play bowling with the ones that didn't hatch yet but had pips. They have all done fine though.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Chad

congrats to everyone's successfull hatchings!!! I had 5 in the bator, 3 have hatched,
celebrate.gif
one died during zipping
hit.gif
and one egg left with no sign of anything yet
fl.gif

60955_dscn1593.jpg

60955_dscn1597.jpg

What little beauties!

My pipped 'dotte mutt just ... well, I was bad. And she'd been pipped for over a day and was just gasping at the hole. So I took her out this morning and used a teeny tiny screwdriver to open up the hole a little, and dabbed at her with a warm wet qtip. The membrane at the hole had dried to her beak and she was stuck - probably why she hadn't been able to pull away from there to zip, right?

So, I peeled the bit of membrane off her beak. And I zipped a circle through the shell only around the egg - not through the membrane. I was thinking about the mechanics of it, and surely as they rotate in the shell to zip, they're cinching off blood vessels that are attached to the membrane, right? So - she hadn't rotated, so she hadn't cinched them off.

So I took my super sharp embroidery scissors again, and I started peeling back teeny bits of membrane and snipping them away if they didn't have live blood vessels on them. I opened up enough for one foot and the top of her head to come out, and got her back in there to warm back up. Laid the egg on its side, though, and tented a warm wet paper towel over it.

Watched over the next few hours and had movement. Looked under the towel and she was waving that foot in the air, but didn't have anything to push against so she wasn't getting anywhere. I rolled the egg over so the open side was down and she could push against the floor. Left the paper towel off her.

Fifteen minutes later or so, she had gotten that leg out but still had the rest of the two halves of the egg on her. She looked like that cartoon of the walking egg. Eggbert? Can't remember the name. Anyway.

She cheeped and wallowed and flailed until she was on her side with just her bottom stuck to the membrane in there. So I went back in with a syringe of warm water and dowsed her bum - looked like the yolksac was stuck to the membrane.

Gave her some more time. She seemed to be trying to get up, but ... she was stuck in there so long, I think she's exhausted, and I think the eggshell and membrane was just too much weight for her. So I stuck my hand back in there with my embroidery scissors - at this point, are they hatching scissors? - and snipped off the bits of shell, again, that didn't have active blood vessels. Wound up leaving a piece of shell that's about 1/2" or so behind her.

Right now she's rolly-tumbly-staggery in there, and I'm watching and hoping.
fl.gif

Please don't fuss at me too much. My other two eggs that I'm hoping will hatch still haven't pipped.

My fingers are crossed for you.

We just got back from church to find a third chick hatched and another pipped. Still nothing on the 5th egg yet.
fl.gif

Congrats on all the babies. I finally have one hatched and 5 others piped. one rocking and rolling and large pip....he's next to hatch i think. Just watching and waiting.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom