Hatching Peafowl eggs with Chicken Eggs

NCIndiaBlue

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
NC
I have peafowl eggs incubating with chicken eggs. I was told by the breeders that I bought my peafowl eggs from that once the peachicks hatch, I should put them with baby chicks (chicken) so that they would learn to eat, drink, etc. I know that peafowl can get sick from being around chickens that have been in contact with dirt.

Is it ok to hatch the chicks and peachicks together in an incubator, and once they learn to eat and drink, separate them?

Hatching together is ok. they take longer(28 days) if using a chicken chick to help them fine the food, would remove it after a few days.

Myself I use hardboil egg yolks to teach them.

With my peachicks and turkey poults, I raise them on wire first months.

Would never mix them with chickens. You will find those that raise them on the ground do lose a few.

Feed a medicated starter. 24 t %

Link to the best info on raising peachicks.

http://www.leggspeafowl.com/peachicks.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the great responses!
big_smile.png

I have raised hundreds of them and never had any problem getting them to eat. I have also hatched and raised them with chickens with no problems. I don't know where that comes from that you shoudn't have chickens and peafowl together it must be an old wives tale. The biggest killers of peafowl is blackhead and worms.

Quote:
Danny, thats why you should not have them with chickens.

Chickens can be carriers of blackhead with no harm to them, same reason not to have them with turkey.

I have hundred of peafowl, none with chicken, and have never had any Blackhead in my peafowl. Yes I do keep them wormed.

Never had to treat them for blackhead either.

Most people who keep them with chicken, can find blackhead in their flock, if they keep adding more chickens.

Last edited:
Deerman,
Blackhead has to be in your area to begin with. Yes chickens can carry it but it has to be there, It's not a given, there are large areas of the US where there is no blackhead. We have raised chickens and turkeys together for 20+ years and never had blackhead- peafowl for 5+ all runing together. Blackhead isn't a given if you raise them together, from our experience.

Steve

Agree, but people like me getting birds ship in getting a chicken that is a carrier may happen.

Just have to many peafowl to take that risk.

Steve you are right, alot of people run them together with no problem.

But not an old tail, thats the reason it got started.

Not all chicken are carriers , most are NOT

Back
Top Bottom