Hatching poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by alphawolf, Oct 12, 2013.

1. alphawolf

alphawolf New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Have a question. I am hatching some turkey eggs for the first time. Today, 2 out of 6 have made tiny holes in the shell, heard peeping. Now, there is nothing happening at all. Need some info and advice. Don't know what to do. Should I wait a while longer or are the poults possibly dead. Hope not, things have been going great until now. Please help, thank you.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you didn't get a reply to your post in a timely manner. How are things going for you now?

As you may have since learned, when they "pip" (make the small hole), they are still not ready to hatch. They make this hole just so they can start breathing air, but they still have to absorb the remaining yolk and rest - a lot. It can be up to 24 hours between the pip and the hatch so a lot of patience and sitting on your hands is required. Hopefully by now your hatch is over and they all made it out successfully?

3. alphawolf

alphawolf New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for your response. Out of 8 eggs, only 1 managed to hatch and is so far doing great.

4. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Just one, what a shame. It needs a little friend. They need to learn to feed and drink....or make your hand or something look like it´s feeding and drinking? Can you get a young chick for a companion? Chicks automatically know.

5. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Sorry, I just saw this post. During the last few days of hatching, temperature should be lowered about 1/2 degree and Humidity should be increased so they can get out of the shells easier. Again, sorry my reply is too late. you might want to read up on incubating. I think the same principle applies to chicken eggs, too ![​IMG] Poor little poults!

6. Macs farm

Macs farm Out Of The Brooder

one of Mine is pipping today, I've lowered temp From 37.5 - 37.2 C, i will lower a little more to 37 deg C, humidity 65%.I believe you leave them in the incubator for a couple of days undisturbed when they hatch to dry out or something. I've got 17 eggs, and one was definitely no good and maybe one other questionable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by