Hatching problem - need advice.sad update :( WARNING: GRAPHIC PICS!!!

I am sorry- I had a rambuctious chick overzealously knock in the top of a nother egg's top in tha incuabtor- they weren't any of htem due till the 27th and I have 2 htermometers in there and the tremps ahve been fine- so I ahve no idea why these are hatching early- but-- anyway the one with the "help" was bleadinga little so I took it out and put it in the other incubator in a damp washcloth. the next morning it was not doing anything-so I checked and it was still breathing but hte membranes looked white so I tried to dampen them and see if I could remove them-.The chick seemed very weak- I decided to go anhead and unwrap it. I remeved boththe outer and inner membrane- there was no bleeding but the chick was sticky.I left the bit of shell at the bottom wher I was holding it- then placed the chick back in the bator on the damp washcloth. I checked in about an hour- and it was up and over in another section. SO I would say that it does not always mean the END to make changes. It is probably 99% of the time not the best choice. And what works for one doesn't always work for another. I moved 4 broody hens today- most ppl say don't do that either. I moved the nestboxes and put them in guinea pig cages- ( bantams obviously) The hen can't go far.I expect they will sit fine.

I'm glad to know this, Katy and Sara. I've never had broody hens, just incubator hatches. Hopefully that will not be the case when my bantam cochins grow up. I'll be much more careful those last 3 days. Again, I appreciate your input.
smile.png

Granny used to kill big old hens for Sunday dinners and chicken and dumplings. You know I never did see a hygrometer or thermometer inside her.
gig.gif
You just cant beat old mother hen. She collects her eggs for about 2 weeks, starts sitting, candles them, discards them, turns them, and hatches almost all of them. Now beat that!
lau.gif

I wish I could let my broody and her chicks out...
sad.png
They'd become eagle-bait in a heartbeat. Momma's getting a little restless, though. I might have to give her some yard-time now...

Back
Top Bottom