Hatching problem..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Apr 7, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have six light brahma bantam eggs in my bator right now. I also have 18 eggs coming before the weekend. I will only go on the 18 eggs schedule not the six egg schedule. There is always a lot of talk about humidity on the last three days, I will have the humidity around 40% will that be high enough to hatch the six eggs out? I have heard about venalation is the key and all that but the question that really makes me think is how a broody hen hatchs out eggs with no humidity increase nor a commom relative humidity. The point is can I hatch out the 6 eggs at about 40 or 45% humidity?

Thanks-Joe

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yup...you can...is it ideal nope...will it work yup. How is that for a probably! I really don't worry much with humidity. I just make sure there is some water in a pan to evaporate!

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I woudnt try it unless these eggs are expendable to you. could it work, maybe is there just as big a chance that you will end up with dead chicks ,YUP. Do what you feel like doing , I was stuck in a simeler spot a bit back when after looking for eggs forever to start hatching i ended up with 5 batches all about 5 days aprart from eatch other. So now I hatch them in a hommade bator but I really wanted a second bator for hatching plus I wont be so silly next tiem to have eggs on diffrent times unless i mean them to be.
    Good luck

4. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I have 3 batches of eggs going right now and 2 more on the way, so I put together a separate hatcher last night.

The only problem I can see in keeping everyone in the same bator is the last 3 days of not turning and not being able to open the bator to turn just some of the eggs that aren't on day 18 yet.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Possible problems I can think of ,
    Low humidity (one of the big killers of three day wait chicks)
    Not turning ( doont know if that one is a big deal for 3 days but could be a problem)
    The mess ( chicks are messy and if you have 6 chicks with egg gunk and poop in your bator you could introduce bactiria that could be deadly to youre other eggs )
    Just some thoughts [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by