Hatching Question

Becks Chicks

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
Southwest WA
I have 3 newly hatched chicks in the incubator, along with 3 more pipped eggs. I also had 2 with no pips. I rate my eggs and both of them I rated “A.” I took them both out to candle. No air sack left on 1 so I carefully made a hole and the chick was fully formed and dead, sadly. These are marans eggs and the shell was especially hard on this one. I’m frustrated that I didn’t assist earlier. The other egg still had a small air sack so I made a small hole and peeled back a bit of the shell to reveal the beak. This chick has a cross beak and the lower beak is somewhat longer. At least that’s what I can see with only the beak poking out. I’m guessing that’s why it didn’t pip.

I‘m going to leave this one alone for awhile and see what it does. I made sure to put Vaseline on the membrane around its face. Is it possible being squished is making the beak cross and everything will right itself when hatched? Should I let nature take its course and provide no further interventions? And, could it still be a healthy chick just with a cross beak or is this a sign of bad genetics?

I have 3 newly hatched chicks in the incubator, along with 3 more pipped eggs. I also had 2 with no pips. I rate my eggs and both of them I rated “A.” I took them both out to candle. No air sack left on 1 so I carefully made a hole and the chick was fully formed and dead, sadly. These are marans eggs and the shell was especially hard on this one. I’m frustrated that I didn’t assist earlier. The other egg still had a small air sack so I made a small hole and peeled back a bit of the shell to reveal the beak. This chick has a cross beak and the lower beak is somewhat longer. At least that’s what I can see with only the beak poking out. I’m guessing that’s why it didn’t pip.

I‘m going to leave this one alone for awhile and see what it does. I made sure to put Vaseline on the membrane around its face. Is it possible being squished is making the beak cross and everything will right itself when hatched? Should I let nature take its course and provide no further interventions? And, could it still be a healthy chick just with a cross beak or is this a sign of bad genetics?
Cross beaking could be genetics, or it could just be a mishap while incubating. If it's in the egg already, then it's not going to fix itself once it hatches. Chicks without scissorbeak have Normal beaks inside the egg

Back
Top Bottom