hatching question?????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lesliet, Jun 18, 2009.

1. lesliet

lesliet Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    ok out of 16 eggs, I only have 2 that hatched, 7 more that pipped but then died, I have no idea what went wrong, any ideas before I try again??? Humidity was above 60 the whole time and then the last 3 days I brought it up to 75%, to much not enough??? temps fine, I don't have any problems when I hatch out chickens... The first quail hatch I only got a 33% hatch rate and this one was worse. HELP!!!

2. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Were they shipped eggs or yours?

3. lesliet

lesliet Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    they where my eggs, I have never had so many pip and then die. I will try again after turkeys hatch. Just not sure what is going on, just hoping someone had a few ideas for me to try?

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    theonly thing i see wrong there is your humidity was too high during development. Better to have it in the 50s than the 60s before you stop turning.

5. Ironsun

Ironsun Chirping

Jun 17, 2009
    Cumbria
    Hi,

I run my incubator dry for the first 15 days and the humity level is often lower than 40%, But the eggs has to lose moisture so it can grow.

On the 15th day, I add water and keep a close eye on humitity so it goes no further than 65%, keeping the vents and incubator closed thoughout the next three days.

I have 90%+ hatches every time. This method works for me.

Ironsun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: