Hatching question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lemurchaser, Jan 9, 2010.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    So, I'm wondering about chicks bumping into unhatched eggs. As the first ones hatch, they'll knock the others around. Everyone says how important it is to not move the eggs during lockdown because they're positioning themselves. Doesn't the rolling around mess up the ones about to hatch?

In a nest they wouldn't really roll, should I put something softer in there to stop the rolling?

I'm not at this point yet (eggs aren't even here yet), but I've wondered this about previous hatches.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I dont think it matters. lockdown is about the humidity not movement.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    It's alright with the eggs.....Lockdown means that the turners etc will be off for the incubator and that the humdity is increased etc.

Happy hatching!

4. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    I put mine in an egg carton with the bottoms of the holes cut out, that way they dont run each other over. It worked really well and there is no worry. I would use a styrofoam holder so that it wont soak up the water.

5. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I wondered that as well. I use to try to position them so they would not hit each other but then I noticed if the chick was knocking the others around they seemed to hatch quicker. I think they get ticked off in there,,,lol

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:I've also noticed that the prescence of other chicks makes them hatch better, but I always figured it was the peeping. That's interesting.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Knocking the unhatched eggs around makes me crazy. I use pieces of egg carton as well.

8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

During my hatch 11 out of the 24 eggs had hatch and they where rolling the eggs from one side to the other, I ended up taking them out because they where mostly dry and putting them in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by