Hatching Question

gamebirdboy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
East Tennessee
I set a lot of eggs and since I have been told to hatch upright I put them in one of my flats. I was wondering if they will hatch alright in it. And I use this little temp gun, it reads different than my walmart thermometer so I trust it, should I trust it or the other one? Thanks
89414_sam_0027.jpg

89414_sam_0030.jpg

There are pros and cons to hatching "upright". I personally think the chicks have an easier time getting out of the eggs while on their sides. However with that many eggs, they tend to get really jostled around and can get crowded in one corner laying on their sides. I don't think it matters a whole lot with the hatch. As far as the thermometer, it never hurts to use two of them, so that you are confident in the proper temp.
smile.png

I would go with 2 thermos as well. I have heard both sides of the hatching upright and still not sure what is best. In the natural nest they aren't up but I have heard others who swear by it.

Thanks, I hope they hatch after all that happened. My grandpa and great aunt lost power and me and my mom had to go get the incubator because we had power and a generator. After moving a few trees we got there and the temp was really low. Got home and plugged it in and the humidity was 82%. I had it at 60%. Could that drown them?

A quick power outage won't hurt the eggs. I have never had it happen to me, but I have read that even a 12 hour cool down to room temp, and you can still get a fairly decent hatch. All that it may do is delay the hatch. So I wouldn't worry about it. As for the humidity, same thing. A few hours being really wet or dry won't hurt them a bit. I think all will be fine.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom