Hatching question

eggsulli

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
I have a hen that started getting really broody about a month ago. I let her start setting, and even snuck in a couple eggs to speed things up. I currently have one rooster mixed in with about 30 hens. I realize the ratio is off, however he started as a "she" and I decided that one rooster was okay. Anyhow, I separated the broody hen from the main flock, and placed her in a solitary confinement with food/water. I moved her eggs also. It's been 4+weeks plus since she started, 2 days ago one chick hatched. I assume that's it. No more chicks from this batch. Out of 24 eggs, I'm surprised only one hatched. Thoughts?

If one hatched yesterday, it is still possible that more could hatch today or tomorrow, so I would wait first to see how many hatch. Then, as far as the rooster goes, what size is he? Usually a larger rooster services less hens than one of medium stature. How old is he? Most roosters of medium stature could service about 10 hens where a large rooster like a Brahma or Jersey Giant maybe only 3 to 5. I hope this helps.

Thanks for taking time to respond Lisa. My rooster is a Blue Lace Wyandotte, he's about 1 year old now. I'll try to find time tonight and candle some. I did the old fashioned test last week, one of the 3 I cracked had a chick :(. My hen thought she was bigger, she attempted to set on 26 eggs, so that could be part of the problem. Thanks again. Damon

I think it does the Hen Good to let her decide when to stop .. They seem to know when there isn't a chance any more.. They start getting up and leaving the eggs more and more.. and eventually will ignore them all together .. I don't know maybe I put to much into it but I fear it makes her nervous and she has a chick to attend to .. I just let them decided.. when they get nasty and cold and I fear might make a mess I start sneaking them out slowly .. I Might share this too.. once I was sure three days after I took a couple eggs out and decided to check if they were fertilized. opening them I saw they were about 98 percent developed and were just absorbing the yolk .. I couldn't help but wonder what the morning might have brought .. I felt horrible !

Back
Top Bottom