Hatching Question

Pecanny

In the Brooder
5 Years
We recently got a trio of chocolate orpingtons, the two hens not yet laying when we got them. Hershey laid her first egg yesterday, and followed up with another today. Latte has not yet laid. Our roo, The Duke of Fudge, is 8 months old.

My question is, do we need to wait any amount of time after the hens have began to lay before incubating their eggs?

Thanks...

Incubate it and hatch it if it is fertile. Many people on the forums have hatched fertile first eggs and the chicks were fine, sooo.. go ahead they will be fine. :)

How large is the egg though? Do not incubate it if it is small. It can be hatched but it is unsafe for the chick if the egg is small.

Last edited:
Incubate it and hatch it if it is fertile. Many people on the forums have hatched fertile first eggs and the chicks were fine, sooo.. go ahead they will be fine. :)

How large is the egg though? Do not incubate it if it is small. It can be hatched but it is unsafe for the chick if the egg is small.
It is a normal bantam sized. It is my understanding the chocolate orpington eggs are supposed to be just that size. Correct?? They are a very light tan color.

Last edited:
If it is normal sized egg for the breed then yes, you can incubate it and hatch it. I am not sure if that is the correct size but if you can confirm that or someone else confirm that it is normal size you can incubate it and hatch it.

Thanks Hilacraft.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom