Hatching Seb goose eggs..

Quote:
That depends on how 'large' your hen is. I could have used hens to hatch my embden's eggs but it would have been 1 egg per hen. Some of the hens would have had to double up to cover 1 egg, the eggs are pretty big. I don't think I'd give 4 eggs to one hen regardless of how big she is. At most I'd do 2.

Quote:
That depends on how 'large' your hen is. I could have used hens to hatch my embden's eggs but it would have been 1 egg per hen. Some of the hens would have had to double up to cover 1 egg, the eggs are pretty big. I don't think I'd give 4 eggs to one hen regardless of how big she is. At most I'd do 2.

I successfully hatched out a gosling using a mottled cochin hen who is perpetually broody. I had 2 under her for less than a week since we had one ready to hatch and had to move the nest. After we moved the nest momma goose wouldnt sit otherwise I wouldnt have had 2 at all. It is not just the covering that is the problem. Because the eggs are so huge and heavy, the chicken turning them has to do alot more work. My fear with more than one is that it would get exhausted not be able to keep up the turning; possibly compromising all the eggs. I have also used chickens to hatch Scovie eggs but sometimes the newly (never tested) broody will give up after 20 days since the developement is slower. This is my first year with goose eggs and I uses a tried and true broody girl.

Well, thanks for all of the advice. I've had them in the incubator for 6 days, now. So far, so good. But it figures that three of my large Wyandottes are now broody. If the electric goes out I may run the eggs to the barn.
smile.png

Hi TiaView, we've just hatched two toulouse eggs under a broody hen and she just about covered them. We actually turned them for her every day as we didn't think she'd manage. I didn't realise we were supposed to mist them so we only did it in the last few days but they both hatched ok (after a VERY nerve-wracking 2 day hatch!!)

Good luck with your eggs
smile.png

BeckyBoo

Quote:
Is it the LG your using? Are you using the auto-turner with it?
Goose eggs do better laying on their sides.
I got a 100% hatch using my LG and hand turning.

Back
Top Bottom