Hatching Serama eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bar-ns cks, Oct 3, 2011.

1. bar-ns cks

bar-ns cks Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Watkinsville, GA
    Anyone with experience with the above please advise temp and humitity used, I have had poor experienced with same. Have 1588 incubaters. Thanks bar-ns cks

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Temp and humidity are the same for any other type of chicken. Seramas are very hard to hatch, even more so with shipped eggs. Then they are also hard to raise once they do hatch.

Temp should be 99.5 and humidity depends on your area. I have had several chicks hatch with humidity near 30%; I think the main problem with humidity and hatching is not the amount but more the fluctuations.

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    hi, I have had really low hatches with shipped eggs.and about 90% with my own.
    I keep the humidity 35 to 40 until lockdown of course..........
    and temp at 100 in a still air.................
    Other than early hatches.18 or 19 days sometimes....everything else has been the same as my regular eggs...........
    The previous poster is correct, they need a little special care after hatching.......................
    but that help is availble if you get baies..
    Good Luck..............[​IMG]

Christinecam likes this.
  4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I have hatched two batches, now with a third - each time I have copped out and slid the eggs under a broody to finish (got 3 out of 8 1st batch; 1 out of 14 second batch). I currently have 9 out of 14 still doing well a day before lockdown, and I've put them under a broody. Fingers crossed - hoping for 9 peeplets today/tomorrow. I have a batch 4 of Seramas in the incubator and all but 2 (out of 9) appeared infertile - no growth.

I have had 4 different farms ship me Serama eggs, and had significantly more success with one particular farm, all other things being equal. Interesting.

5. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    Go to the Serama Council of North America website! http://www.scnaonline.org/ I have tried hatching Seramas before and only had any hatch following their recomendations. Something about humidity is different but I can't remember what. I don't usually have problems with any other breed.

6. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Seramas are harder my 1st hatch I got 10 of 36 3 died in the 1st week. My 2nd hatch 1 hatch of 36 and it had a bum leg and died. I have 15 eggs in right now 100.2 at egg level and 39 humidity I am not touching them. I don't even want to caandle them. Last hatch I didn't put in anything for humidity I think that was a mistaake as the humidity wa low in the outside air as well. The 1st hatch I didn't have anything in for humidity but the outside air was humid. I am hoping for 10 again this hatch. but any would be fine.

Here are my 6 week old Seramas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy Serama hatching!!

7. swimmy44

swimmy44 New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    which farm sent you the eggs which were most successful to hatch?

8. NewChickenMom69

NewChickenMom69 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    I just got 17 serama eggs and 5 have a dislodged air cell. 12 look good. Should I place them under one of my larger broody hens or incubate? The other girls are messing with the broody ones and afraid they will abandon the eggs mid cycle which happened to me last month with other eggs I tired to hatch with the girls. These little chickens sound like Coturnix quail and the hatch rate.. had 2 rounds of quail and lost many before lock down and after they hatched lost a number of babies.

9. MalayStyle

MalayStyle New Egg

Apr 17, 2015
    Newbie question, from the sounds of things it appears Seramas do not hatch their own eggs and must be artificially hatched every time/brooder is that correct?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. NewChickenMom69

NewChickenMom69 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Seramas will hatch their own eggs and make very good mommies. My one girl started to brood this spring, took her a year for the mother instinct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by