Hatching shipped eggs

1st baby hatched polish frizzle
IMG_20180419_185745.jpg

I just candled my first hatch from shipping eggs, other than the 20% of the Serama eggs that were duds (genetic defect) I only had one bad egg. What I did before I started the hatch was to put the eggs in my egg turners outside of the incubator and let them turn for a day. I read others do not turn them at first. However I was pretty successful for up to the 10 day candling point. Can't claim success yet but if these are successful at filling my brooder on May 1st or 2nd I will continue to turn my eggs at room temperature for a day before incubating. I started out with 26 Serama eggs, 10 Ayam Cemani eggs and 6 of my own Maran black sex links (Black Cooper Maran over my Cuckoo Marans) I just hatch those to fill the Incubator. I did notice that the Serama eggs that lived were far more developed than the full sized chickens which may lead to early lockdown. I am guessing that I might want to keep Humidity way down before day 16 and go into lock down 2 days early since the Seramas might hatch a bit earlier. I might also want to not mix my hatches, either do Seramas only or full size only, Or start the seramas 2 days later... we will see what kind of mess I got myself into this time.

Congrats! All so cute! Kinda jealous lol today is day 21 for me on my 4th batch and no pips or nothing.. got a new Inc but the temp fluctuate often so I don't know if that's playing a big part right now...:confused:
I bought a new incubator the Brinsea Maxi Ii advance- this is my best hatch ever! I have a styrofoam one. I have been using previously. Ok hatches but not as good as this batch. It was costly - but I bought the eggs off eBay and wanted to be sure I had a good hatch. The incubator is awesome

Back
Top Bottom